Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Objects in Motion

You know what I want to do? I want to go to a bookstore. I want to wander around the stacks until I find something that looks interesting, look through it, decide it’s not all that interesting and move on to the next thing. I even know what I would look for Fowl Weather.

I read his first Enslaved by Ducks, and was throughly charmed by both the man and his menagerie. I finished re-reading it the other day and said “If this guy wrote another, I would read it”. And lo and behold he did.

I would go to the bookstore and look for it and most likely buy it but for that the closest “book store” to where I live is a Target. Or I could go to Wal-Mart and peruses the 2,145 titles that make up the Left On Their Behinds series that are featured in what passes for the “Books” section at my store.

Enter Amazon.

They have my book. They also have about thirty bazillion others. Instead of browsing a store, I browsed the site. I have had luck in the past with the “Readers Who Bought This Title Also Bought : Blank” feature, but this time it unearthed more navel gazing them I have any desire to enable. Did you know that moving from the city to the country is very hard? Or that life on a farm is really different than life in midtown Manhattan? And that many people who make the move from midtown Manhattan to a farm end up writing books about it? They all do. It’s like a rule. You move an hour outside Manhattan and you must write a book about it! I mean, the joys of breathing air that is not a solid to the hell of realizing that there is no closest Duane Reade iand they'll have to Oh My God!, use the Wal-Mart pharmacy!

Yes, life in suburban Connticut is not for the faint of heart. You would think before they bought that farm they would have read one or two or fifteen of these memoirs. Or maybe just read The Egg and I, and stayed in The City.

I bought y book and as penance for buying something for myself, I did a little Christmas shopping. SPOILER WARNER - Somebody is getting a book for Christmas! p.s, don’t tell anyone.

I’m really tired. I think handling Doggers meds is beginning to effect me. It could also be that right now she is asleep at my feet with her head on my shoe. Keeping me awake is her near constant gas output. I really don’t think this happens with the same frequency when she is awake. I think my left knee just passed out and I’m pretty sure the last four inches of my right pant leg just disintegrated... My shoes may never be the same.

Speaking of shoes. The curative brown boots I bought over the weekend are absolutely devine. I wore them all day and had no problems. No blisters no rubbing none of the unpleasantness I associate with the first day with new pair of shoes. But, when I am not walking around, there is a slight problem. They boots don’t rub when in use, but at rest , there is a slight “pleat” in the ankle and it rubs - but only at rest. Walking around, nada, nothing, walking on air - But as soon as I take a seat, both ankles get irritated and if I hadn’t stolen some McDonalds napkins at lunch to act as padding, I would have developed blisters by the end of the day. It’s just the oddest thing.

No comments: