Thursday, October 11, 2007

Watch Pushing Daisies

Ipod isn’t at all as offended by The Partridge Family as I thought it would be. In fact, Ipod seems to be very fond of The Partridge Family. A bit too fond. I’m thinking of staging an intervention before it gets out of hand.

Ipod is still not speaking to I-tunes so everything on Ipod is anonymous . I looked at the play list and it has two track sevens back to back. But I don’t know which tract sevens. It could be Book of Days from Shepard Moon and Morning Rider on the Road from Up To Date or Have a Heart from Nick Of Time and Lucky from The Buffy soundtrack or even maybe Let’s Be Friends from The Rising or something else I loaded on to it.

I was going to keep very close accounts of what I loaded on and I was kind of - I had stacks. I was making stacks, but then I got mad at the scanner for being in the way and so I moved some things and now my stacks got stacked and I’ve lost track. I do know that I have 5 hours of music on the Ipod.

I did find the button to push in order to get the tracks identified but the I-Tunes claimed they were unidentifiable. I am aware that most of the titles were titles well before there was an I-Tunes and that might be an issues, I but I am not asking it to identify LPs, I wouldn’t expect it to speak analogue, I’m asking it to tell me what the little 1's and 0's it does read, say.

There is a TV show you should watch before it disappears. Pushing Daisies is really, really original. It doesn’t have a single cop or doctor or lawyer. It is not made by or produced with cooperation from Jerry Bruckheimer. It features bright light and bold colors. There is voice over. Did you see Toys? I think Pushing Daisy’s would fit well into its hyper color saturated, highly stylized, world. How can you not like a show that features one of it’s characters belting out Hopelessly Devoted To You? It helps that they belt-er out was Kristine Chenowith . PD is so high concept, repeated viewing may give you a contact high. But it’s really sweet and when ABC cancels it after say, six or three showings, I’m going to be sad.

I think it may be supposed to look like a comic book (or for the virginal over-forties living you in your parents basement "Graphic Novels") now that I think about it. The women all have great racks and their clothing is designed to give them hour-glass shapes. The show is not drawn, but the individual scenes look like story boards.

It is about this guy who has a gift. He can bring back dead things. All he has to do it touch them and they are alive and then he touches them again and they are dead again, forever. He makes money by alive-in-ing the recently dead and asking who made them that way. He tells the police and scores the reward. He also is a pie maker and owns a pie shop.

But he then went and made his childhood love alive again and he can’t bare to make her dead again and even though he loves her, and she’s staying with him because she was dead and all but now she isn’t and being dead complicates being alive, so they have to keep her on the DL - And he can never, ever touch her , ever, or she is dead again, forever.

And it’s not at all schmoopy.

I missed the first episode because it airs at 8pm on ABC and I’m pretty much trained not to watch ABC or network TV in general at that hour. It took me a while to learn to watch My Name is Earl too but I kept at it. Pushing Daisies is an hour show, so that helps, and it fills an hour when I would normally be watching HGTV or prowling around Poverty Barn.

I know you looked at all that and saw only “voice over" and said “Yeah. No.”, but I have to tell you that the VO isn’t at all annoying because the VO guy sounds very, very much like he may also read a lot of Dr. Seuss and in fact the VO keeps you up on what is happening and who is thinking what as to what has just happened. Which, as I read that I think it mean that it is hard to follow or they don’t bother writing adequate dialogue or action to show not tell what is happening. It’s not like that. It’s not like Sex In The City voice overs because the narrator is omniscient, not at all Sarah Jessica Parker, and as yet, not on screen. Although, it may be a dog. It also gives you the feeling that you are watching a book. If that makes sense.

Or a really interesting play. The sets and wardrobe and even make up and hair are fabulous without being too fabulous. I love the sets! They are most awesome and, again, I read that and say to myself “Noticing the sets and costumes is a bad thing, staged readings, black box theaters, blah, blah style over substance” and then I rethink that about sets and costumes and hair and make up and decide how they really add to the atmosphere and feeling of the show and I tell myself to shut up. Think of them as a visual soundtrack.

But, really, According to IMDB it has a total of six episodes and there are only four left. It’s really interesting and different and not like anything else on TV.

5 comments:

Cat said...

I saw previews for Pushing Daisies and it looked like another interesting show about dead people that I'd probably like (it seems that every show about dead people is a good show. Dead Like Me, Buffy, Six Feet Under (first season only), etc.: dead people = fun to watch.) We'll have to DVR it along with Earl, Dr Who, and all the other shows that we never get to watch anymore except one night a week between 8:45 and 10pm.

If iTunes isn't finding the track titles and such, it's because of the internet connection. Even the most obscure CDs, purchased at the dawn of the CD age, are found in the Gracenote database. But on a dialup connection, you might timeout before it can download the information. It's also possible that you have iTunes configured *not* to download the information from the internet, which might have been set that way since it detected a slow internet connection. In which case you can change the setting.

Do you read these comments?

Cat said...

THis weekend we should come look at your iTunes configuration. It should be automatic and easy.

Cat said...

Just re-read my comment and tone of voice didn't come across right--I was saying:
"Do you read these comments? :-) "

and NOT saying:
"Do you read these comments? :-( "

Unknown said...

For me, comments rate higher than Breaking News items from CNN! I live for comments.

Cat said...

Then I'll leave one more for good measure.