Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Blergh

If you watched 30 Rock you would know what that means. At present, for our uses, it means I Went To The Dentist And It Cost A Lot Of Money And It Is Going To Cost A Lot More.

And I don't have dental insurance. Double Blergh.

So I went online and looked. I would have been smarter to first have found dental insurance and then found a dentist, because many of the plans list participating doctors and my doctor is not listed on any of them. Not one. And the dentists' office didn't have any hand pamphlets around advertising the dental plans they particularly enjoy accepting. And yes as a state employee I can get dental insurance through my plan - the problem being that the dental insurance is expensive, doesn't fully kick in for three years and from what I have heard, sucks.

The dental insurance offer that fell out of the sky and through my mail slot? Not a good idea, You can bet I called them the minute I walked in my door post-appointment. Sadly for the insurance provider, the girl who answered the phone was in the wrong line of work, she was honest about the plan and told me it was a bad deal. I looked at the fine print and it would only pay for about 20% of a given procedure anyway. So tomorrow, I'm going to call the dentist office and talk to them about what plans they accept and then figure out which of those plans I can afford.

The good news is that my mouth hurts less today then it has. Most likely because I have taken up eating liquids or other soft, warm, low impact foods and I have mastered eating on only one side of my mouth! Also, I think the naughty teeth knew their days were numbered so they went on their best behavior. When they xrayed my mouth and looked around, they didn't find any really harsh surprises. I mean other than the one really broken tooth and the almost broken tooth and one kind of sprained tooth (all in line for crowns!) and a couple of very small cavities and the plaque build up - Plaque can cause pain? Who knew. Did you know that as we age our lower canine teeth start to move closer together? So the pain that I have been feeling and attributing to "my teeth moving", because it reminded me so strongly of the pain of braces? You remember that feeling? the just-tightened-braces pain? It actually was my teeth moving! Who would have thought?

Anyone know of any really good, not terribly expensive, individual dental plans? I'm taking suggestions.

No comments: