Monday, April 21, 2008

Growing

Saturday, what did I not do on Saturday? The laundry. I did not do the laundry.

I did go to the County Democratic convention . Do you know why the Democratic party can’t win an election? Or establish a cohesive base or manage to keep their agents On Message? Because we suck. And why do we suck? Because we fail to see the big picture. We can’t see the forest for the trees. We can’t just let anything go. Nothing can just be, we have to make every damn thing about us. I heard entirely too much about what I want/need/think. We’re all about feelings. The second longest time waste of the day concerned how we felt about a TYPO.

The Chair introduced the Minister who said the (long) invocation and the Mayor of Garner who gave a stirring speech called Why Am I a Democrat, short answer: Because He Could Tell Which Way The Wind was Blowing . The Chair was in the wind before the speech even started.

We reached the part of our agenda where we were to be voting for the resolutions from the precincts and the longest time waste of the day. This portion of the meeting was being led by the chairman of the resolutions committee . Fine. But no, someone had to bitch from the floor that the 3rd vice chair appeared to be chairing the meeting and shouldn’t the 1st Vice chair be running the meeting in the absents of the Chair? The 1st vice chair pointed out that we were discussing resolutions and the 3rd vice chair is the Chair of the resolutions committee and to shut up. But in a very Roberts Rules of order way.

And it just went on and on and then we had to argue about whether a resolution from Wake County that concerned Granville County should be discussed at all since it didn’t actually affect Wake County and who was Wake County to make resolutions concerning conditions effecting another county?

I’m reasonably sure that everything got shelved or sent back to the resolutions committee. I’m not certain, I left so that I would not follow though on my desire to kill everyone in the auditorium. If you really want to punish someone, arrange for them sit through a Consideration of Resolutions from precincts.

I would be willing to bet that Republicans don’t go through all that shit. They may be soulless, hateful, Borg-like and evil, but they stay on message and get their people into office, damn it. No fuss, no muss no bitching from the peanut gallery. The bastards.

And then I went home and I got to my real work for the weekend. I went to the city dirt store and bought some dirt. Why buy dirt? My backyard dirt is actually a toxic mix of dust, pollen and dog hair. To grow things you need real dirt or very expensive hydroponic equipment. Really good dirt. Rich, thick, black dirt that smells sweet and fertile and comes from the city dirt store. The last time I went to the dirt store I went in my truck and they dumped enough dirt in the bed to damn near destroy my suspension. Time has past, I don’t have a truck anymore and I only needed a little bit of dirt. I went for the bag option. I thought they supplied the bags. They don’t, and as to “bags” they suggest trash cans as a good alternative. If you can lift it, you can use it.

I went to Wal-Mart came back with 41 gallon plastic tubs. Do you know how much dirt weighs? More than you think. Do you know how much a plastic tub full of high-grade dirt weighs? Too much.

And then at home, I had to get them from the back of Minnie to the back yard. So close and yet so far away. The first bin wasn’t that bad to carry - it was a mix of what looked like leaves and detritus and good dirt. Bin two was all good dirt. The heavy dirt. Those nutrients will kill your back. This presented a problem. I called Alphagal, solver of problems. Alphagal suggested a wagon or other wheeled object, perhaps my desk chair. I don’t have a wagon and my desk chair specifies it is for indoor use only.

I cast about things with wheels. And my eyes fell on my trash bin. My giant trash bin. My giant wheeled trash bin. Eureka! It was too tall for me to heft the box’o’ dirt on top of it but if I turned the trash bin on it’s back it was perfect and would still roll. And roll we did! I got the dirt into the garden and planted two varieties of tomatoes and a couple of morning glory seeds before I read the fine print that suggests the seeds be immersed in water over night to assisted in germination. Whoops.

And then I cleaned up and went to Alphagal and Broskeys for dinner and after I left there I went to the grocery and bought meat loaf ingredients and some cake mix. I got home made two lovely meat loafs and 18 orange flavored cupcakes. Note to Alphagal, the suggestion to add chocolate chips to the batter was BRILLIANT.

2 comments:

adrian2514 said...

Hey thanks for the great blog, I love this stuff. I don’t usually do much for Earth Day but with everyone going green these days, I thought I’d try to do my part.

I am trying to find easy, simple things I can do to help stop global warming (I don’t plan on buying a hybrid). Has anyone seen that www.EarthLab.com is promoting their Earth Day (month) challenge, with the goal to get 1 million people to take their carbon footprint test in April? I took the test, it was easy and only took me about 2 minutes and I am planning on lowering my score with some of their tips.

I am looking for more easy fun stuff to do. If you know of any other sites worth my time let me know.

Cat said...

Mmmmm cupcakes with chips.