Friday, May 30, 2008

Seasons Change

I had woken up hot at 3:30 Wednesday morning when The Kitty wanted to be fed and I was still hot hours later when my alarm went off. I was hot when I brushed teeth and I did not get less hot as I got dressed. It was not cooler when I got downstairs. It was hot.

The dog was panting. The Kitty did a face plant into his water bowl. By the time everyone had been out to pee, fed, pilled, taken out again and tucked into bed - I was panting. I was going to have to think about maybe turning the A/C on . I decided to think about it and maybe do it after work, but before I could leave for work I needed to find The Kitty, I like to do a head count before I leave for the day and I couldn’t find him. I knew he was there, I had just seen him - but that didn’t count. We had reached the portion of the morning when I tell the little animals, individually and in general. That I am leaving for work and I want him or her to watch the house - but I can’t do that until I see them.

Dogger is easy. It’s not easy for her to hide, she can and has, but you lose your dog once under the dining room table, you don’t get fooled again. But I couldn’t find The Kitty. I looked and I looked and to illustrate how frantic I was getting, I called for him, cats don’t come when they’re called! They especially don’t come when they’re called when they have established that you are looking for them. I looked under beds, swatted at curtains, checked all the chairs, checked the bathroom twice to make sure he hadn’t gotten trapped in there the last time I had checked in there. Oh, and it wasn’t getting cooler in the house. I used my time frantically searching for The Kitty by opening all the available windows I cam across. I didn’t want my iddle babies to spend the day in sauna.

I finally found him hiding under the head of the upstairs bed, behind a rolled up carpet remnant. I said my goodbyes and finally, left for work. By the time lunch rolled around a front had come through the temperature had dropped and the heat of the morning had been replaced with cold, gusty winds and rain. I rushed home to close all the windows and make sure my iddle babies didn’t spend the day in a freezer.

By the time I came home for the day it had settled into being rainy and cold for the end of May. A perfect day for the dog park. It really was. It was perfect for Dogger. The park was completely empty! Dogger got the rare treat of being off leash at the off leash dog park. We wandered around and Dogger ran full tilt across the park and sniffed every tree and got a chance to stalk a squirrel and generally got to be an unleashed dog. It was great fun. It was rainy, cold and nasty, but it was the best time we’re had at the park in a long time. We haven’t been to the park in weeks. A year and half ago this would have been unthinkable. Raining? there, Cold? there Too hot? there. We were there every day rain or shine even when it was so hot Dogger and the rest of the dogs just lay there like lumps . A rainy day like Wednesday wouldn’t have bothered anyone. But on Wednesday we were alone and grateful for it.

No comments: