Friday, June 27, 2008

Garden Update III



Since the last time I've reported on Garden 2008 - The Greeninging , I have staged my first harvest! It wasn't exactly a record breaking haul.




 

But aren't the cute? Have you ever seen cuter tomatoes? I think not! They were the smartest tomatoes in their class. So I spent all this time worrying on them and  watering and fertilizing and obsessing over them, and then I ate them. It seemed wrong, it seemed carnivorous some how. Here was these things that I worked so hard on and  spent watching them grow from tiny little nubs into  a condiment.  I put a lot of effort babying them along and I ate them. I felt like after all of that, I should put them in  a scrapbook instead of a sandwich.

 

I was so proud. I very carefully took them off  plant and brought them inside and washed them clean and  then I looked at them. Hello little tomatoes! Welcome to  the inside of my house! . I actually took a picture of them sitting on the counter. I was at loss as to what to now . I mean, I had a total of three tomatoes. It's hardly like I had enough to make tomato sauce or even whip up some dip or something. You can't even make a salad with three small tomatoes, And? I don't even eat tomatoes. I mean, I eat tomatoes but usually after they disguised. I certainly didn't want them to go bad, but really... What do you do with three tomatoes?

 

You chop them up and add them to your tuna, is what you do with them. They were nummy.

 

Three down

 


 

 

 

Many, many, many to go.  And that's just the little ones. I have big ones too and they are getting bigger everyday.  They aren't getting red but they are getting big. They're supposed to Goliath tomatoes but right now I think they're more like David tomatoes.

 


 

 

The cukes are trying to catch up. I mean, you can tell they really, really want it bad but they just aren't as ambitious as the tomatoes. The tomatoes are the star players of  Team Garden and the cukes know it, and they feel bad.  My garden books swear and declare that the cukes will grow and that I will need to stay on top of them and harvest every couple of days. Well. We'll see.

 




I have three and that's the big daddy one. The other ones are just little. I put a saucer under it because one of my books suggested that I keep them off the ground to protect them from insects and other dirt born terrorists. Sigh.  I'm go to all this trouble and then I;m going to eat them. Or someone is going to eat them, I don't even normally eat disguised cucumbers. Maybe  by that time I'll figure out how to  put them into  scrapbook.

 

The squash plants themselves are very green and leafy and every morning when I go out to visit with the garden before I leave for work the squash blossoms are splendid. They aren't producing any actual squash but I have read where the flowers are edible. Speaking of flowers the eggplants are waking up!

 


 

They, like the squash are producing very pretty flowers early in the morning. This picture would have been much prettier if taken  in the morning, had I thought about it.

 

The peppers. The Peppers. Nothing. They are doing nothing. I mean, even the eggplants are doing something. The peppers are so far, really disappointing. Even the collards are producing! I harvested some collards today! A lot! Many leaves! They will probably shrink down to nothing cause that's what collards do, but still! I'm going to add some sausage and it's going to be great.

 

The peppers make me sad.

No comments: