Friday, July 25, 2008

Garden Update

There are two squash plants left. Out of twelve non-productive little bastards. The only reason the two are still in the ground is that one I would have to reach further than I want to to grab it and the other is a leetle to close to my very productive cucumber plant and I don’t want to accidentally yank  it out by mistake. I would like to know how it is that I ended up with only one cucumber plant? I planted six of them, so by this time I should be swimming in cucumbers instead of having mearly enough to soak my feet in. I think I shall blame their loss on the evol sun blocking soil nourishment sucking squash plants and their plans of garden domination. I think they kidnapped my innocent cucumber plants and then disguised them as fellow squash so when the great squash armageddon came, I would take the evil as well as the good. Yellow bastards.

But. If I had more cucumbers I couldn’t be as careful about finding them new homes. You have to be careful about just who you send you veggies home with! The new owners should share you philosophy on refrigerator vs. counter top storage and where they feelings on appropriate crisper drawer settings and where they stand on grilled vegetables... You can’t just send them home with anyone. It’s important to interview and if possible, conduct home visits. So far I have re-homed one of mine and there are two in the wings and two others in development.

The collards are out there collardering. I’m pretty sure when Broskey and Alpha Gal get back from vacation I'm going to yank the remaining plants out the ground, take the leaves and give them as a gift to them. I realized that I really don’t like greens, even greens that I myself grew with my own little hands and the fact that they are just taking up space that my other plants could use. Next year, no collards.

The tomatoes both big and little are doing well - Not as well as my mothers super productive plants, but well enough, as I don’t actually eat tomatoes myself. The larger variety is finally ripening up after weeks of nothing and has even started on a second generation after I was starting to think that I wasn’t going to have grandtomaotes from that plant. Regardless, in a few days I am going to have some grand tomatoes:



After three months of waiting, the peppers are coming in! I’m glad I resisted the urge to go squashageddon on them after they took so long to start producing. And even better, from my inspection of the plants, I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a quite a few of them over the next couple of months and if the weather holds, maybe as long as three months - My reading has taught me that peppers are not very hardy. Doesn't matter! They are finally producing!


And, last and least of my little garden family, the eggplants are also finally starting to produce. I really do not have the patients for all this waiting around. Next year? No eggplants.




In the front yard, my moon flower vines are also starting to produce. The blooms are beautiful. Sadly, however, my camera is having issues and I’m not able to get a picture of them. To get an idea, find a handkerchief or other large, white piece of heavy cloth, perhaps a cloth napkin, and drape it over your hand - That’s what the blooms look like. Oh, not gardencentric, but I am writting this on July 24, 2008. I recived my first Christmas catalouge in the mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re cucumbers: I would NEVER grill one!