Friday, July 11, 2008

Thank Gawd it’s not Thursday Anymore


I just had the weirdest day. It started off weird got progressively more weird and ended up kind of messy.

The Kitty decided at 3:35 Thursday morning that it was important that he gak . Nothing gets my attention faster than the sound of my cat gaking and if he can arrange to do that at o’dark thirty in the morning it’s just so much more special. So needless to say I was up with my glasses on and the lights all the way up and The Kitty is sitting there looking up at me with his little head cocked to one side saying It was some other cat that gaked. It couldn’t possibly have been me. I’m too cute to gak! and I’m thinking I don’t have another cat and how I am going to clean up the gak - at o’dark thirty in the morning. I couldn’t find it.

Truthfully, I didn’t look real hard, I hadn’t stepped in it yet so my interest waned. I found it much later, after I came home from work. What fun! But a whole bunch more fun than if I had found it at o’dark thirty.

I went to work. I’m driving along and as I’m passing by Moore Square a woman waves me down to stop. She didn’t look odd, she looked like a Soccer Mom that lost her way. I stopped to see what she wanted. She wasn’t a Soccer Mom. Once I had stopped the car that much became evident. She wanted me to roll down my passenger window. I did not. I asked her what she wanted. She wanted me to roll down my window. I rolled down the drivers window and asked her what she needed.

She needed a ride to Dix. It turns out she was a patient there oh, until recently and she had left AMA and now wanted to go back. I wished her God Speed.

She wanted me to take her back. She had been there for ten days and she was sure they would just be thrilled to see her as they had wanted her to stay longer anyway and it would be a happy reunion. I said I could not do that, I could not drop her off at a psych hospital like a sack of kittens. I would not do that to a human being, I would not do that to a sack of kittens. But she insisted and I kept saying I would not do that. Over and over again.


Her - Take me to DIX!

Me - I will not do that!

One, I do not pick up hitch hikers, I have a rule. Two, I do not pick up people and drop them at the door of a mental hospital. I don’t know how you go about being admitted to a mental hospital, but I don’t think you just walk in, ring the bell and get fitted for your straight jacket. And so I am sitting there parked in the middle of the street talking with this crazy woman and I keep trying to offer her options to her existing plan.

Me - You could call 911

Her - They won’t do anything. Just drop me off at DIX!

Me - No! There is a women’s shelter 75 feet from us, go ask them!

Her - They won’t help me! Drive me to DIX! Just drop me off!

Me - No I can’t do that. I will not do that. No, No, No!

Her - Drive me to Dix! They will be happy to see me!

Me - NO!

Her - Drive me to Dix!!!

Me - No! I can’t do that!

Her - circling my car and peering into my back seat while I quickly take an inventory of the assorted dog toys and garbage there that could be weaponized. Almost everything. Drive me to Dix... Just drop me off...

Me - No. I have to go ( not mentioning that I have to go to Dix)

Her - Do you have any money? I need a dollar for the bus.

Me - I have no cash.

Her - .15?

Me - I have no cash I have no change. I have to go now. I’m sorry!

Her - That’s okay, you were nicer than the other people who stopped.

I drove off. I felt really bad about this. It would be one thing if I didn’t actually work on the campus, but I work within sight of the hospital. It’s right there. But I just can’t, I just can not drop person off at the front door - If I could even find the right front door, and then leave them there. That would be cruel and wrong. What if they wouldn’t take her? Dix campus employees as a whole don’t really like random wandering loonies on campus. It’s frowned on. RWL break into cars and get into office buildings and steal things and make scenes and scare people.

And then I went to work and scanned pictures of a stage four bed sore. Don’t ask. If eating isn’t important to you, check google images. And then I came home and found  the cat gak and took Dogger for a walk and ended up covered with dog shit. It’s just been a really weird day.

2 comments:

Cat said...

That is seriously wierd. I'm so glad you didn't pick up the RWL.

Unknown said...

I should have called 911 and told them she was stopping traffic and wandering in the street. She wasn't there today.