Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dog Cookiepalozza

Months ago I promised my friend at work that I would make cookies as her fundraiser for her non-profit dog charity, WAAG. I said Sure! I’ll make cookies! No problem! . And then I asked when she would need them... It seemed like such a long time in the future. And of course I was going to be on vacation at that point, so I would need to get moving on these early.

Time flies when you are putting things off. These cookies needed to be made and they needed to made soon. But first I had to over think it. I had to decide what shape the cookies would be, the containers I picked up weeks ago are decorated with little dots, do I want to make round cookies? That would be really cute; or would that be too ha ha spot on? Would they look too much like people cookies or rather people crackers? Why haven’t I found some sort of dog paw shaped stamp? Do they make dog paw shaped stamps? And if so, where are they? I’ve looked.

Do I want to go with another shape? What shape is September? Autumn leaves? Do I have a leaf shaped? Yes, yes I do but it’s kind of big and I’m thinking that since they are planning on selling these, this should be about quantity over clever shape. With freebies I would go with seasonal shape and every one would get one or two and I could get away with larger cookies. Okay, but these aren’t free, bones it is. Big or little? I have a couple of different large bone shape and a couple of smaller ones. I decided to go with smaller bones.

Okay. Small bones. Now what are they going to taste like? Dogger can’t have molasses so I don’t want to make those - Even if she doesn’t to get any of these charity batches, she’ll smell them being made and feel left out. My poor little dog! I don’t like dealing with peanut butter but it’s not as bad as it used to be. I’ve learned tricks, but I really don’t want to deal with the mess. I decide on the relatively tidy cheese and bacon.

Time passes, I buy the cheese, I make the cookies, count the cookies and do some quick math. I don’t have very many cheese cookies !@#$%^ I have twenty little tubs to fill up and these aren’t going to fill tubs!. I was going to have to make more cookies or fill fewer tubs. These are for charity!. I’m going to have to pad with stars.

I buy more cheese.

I buy bag’o bacon.

Have I mentioned how unfun cookie baking is? It’s not fun. It’s a great upper body work out and doing the baking does make me feel full, always a good thing, but it’s a lot of work and time spent in a hot kitchen. MAKING FOOD I CAN NOT EAT. I shake it off. I make stars. I make bacon bones. I make bacon stars. I have a lot of cookies and then I have to count them. I do the math again.

The Math

@235 star cheese cookies

@235 star bacon cookies

@100 bone cheese cookies

@100 bone bacon cookies

670 cookies. 20 tubs.


Each tub will hold either 63 stars or 16 bones.

More Math

For twenty tubs it comes out to 11.75 stars per flavor and five per flavor for bones. So, 22 stars and 10 bones per tub, more or less there are some fractions at work here that I have chosen to round off. That’s not bad, and I’ll have some left overs for Dogger.



2 comments:

Cat said...

The tubs look SO cute with the customized labels.

Unknown said...

If I was really cool I would have thought to put the ingredient labels on the outside instead of on scraps of paper on top of the cookies. Next time...

I did remember to add on the ingredients list, that other flavors are available and I put email on the label. Go Me! Hopefully, they will sell some of them and someday I'll take over the high end dog cookie market! I need to get cards and a website!

Yeah. Right.