Friday, August 1, 2008

Garden Update

Wednesday night I came home from worked and made dinner, pilled everyone, fed everyone, did laundry, rode the bike all the way to Krispy Kreme and then washed the dog. Thursday night I came home, made dinner for everyone, pilled everyone and then fell asleep in front of the TV. It’s not my fault, I was watching a Blue Planet DVD and the whole disk was about life on the ocean floor. It is very dark on the ocean floor.

Earlier, when I was more wakeful , I went to the farmers market to see it would be possible to buy garlic yet. I would much rather buy from a local source than have to order from one of my very sexy, very expensive seed catalogues, especially since I all ready know I’m going to be buying fancy tomatoes from them in the spring. It was a bust. Nobody was selling seedlings except for herbs and I don’t want herbs. I think I’ll go back looking for garlic in the fall, and no, you can’t just plant the garlic you buy at the store, that garlic gets treated with stuff to keep it from sprouting. I think this is done on the advice of the makers of the sexy seed catalogues.

I noticed the farmers market was piled high with peppers and eggplants. How did they get theirs so soon? I planted mine arguably, too early and it’s only now starting to fruit, how did they who are more discipline than I am, have mature, harvestable produce? They had all kinds of bell peppers and several different kinds of eggplant and all I have are pepper and eggplant fetusi. It’s not fair. I also noticed they didn’t have a big market for their eggplants either. It looks now like I’m going to have a grand total of two eggplants and I think that is about all I am going to be able to re-home when the time comes. Tomatoes, cukes, peppers, all easy to find slots for but so far I’m not perceiving a big demand for eggplants, I mean, I don’t want to eat them, I’m not sure I’ve actually seen anyone eat eggplant actually except for once on a Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode, Buffy ordered a grilled eggplant sandwich. I hate to think that is the reason I planted them but I think it is.

The peppers are producing now at last and I think they are going to do well and I should get a good harvest from them, the peppers after all are the only seedlings I planted that all the plants lived to reach maturity. The cukes all died except for a single plant and it seems a little weary now, the squash which were the most plentiful thing in the garden are down to two plants that grow but do not produce, I think there were five eggplants at the beginning and now I have three left and one of those looks ill, I harvested the collards early so they are all out of the ground,. The Tomatoes are still doing well and I wish I had planted more.

It looks like for the fall  it's  going to be garlic and maybe broccoli if it will grow here and only if I can buy seedlings. I’m a little concerned that neither of those crops will be finished up in time to get my spring planting done at a reasonable time. The spring crops is going to be several different varieties of tomatoes, cucumbers, and a couple different pepper varieties. I’m not really sure yet. I do know for sure what I won’t be planting: No collards, no squash, and no eggplants.

No comments: