Friday, August 15, 2008

(Not) Getting to know me, getting to know nothing about me

What are you looking at? What are you looking at? ...You don't belong here white lady!

I was on my bike tooling down the street, looking at a boarded up but architecturally interesting warehouse. I was  ignoring the hectoring because I didn't realize that I was the target, I thought it was one kid arguing with another until the voice called me out You don't belong here white lady, What? Who me? Does the little bigot not know he or she lives in a very desirable section of downtown? Does the little bigot not know how attractive the warehouse could be if it was renovated into $300,000 lofts? and  does the little bigot not notice the blocks and blocks of newly constructed, attractively priced infill that make up his neighborhood? Does the little bigot fear the ergonomically designed, fair trade, 51% post-consumer recycled material boot of urban gentrification? The only reason he had to yell at me was because otherwise I couldn't have heard him over the sound of rapidly approaching progress.

Brat.

I was on his street because I'm searching for a bike route with fewer stealth hills. My current route is pock marked with stealth hills and I don't like it. I've walked the route for years with Dogger and I never noticed I was walking up and down hills, it was a  real shock to find them on the bike. The stealth hills work my nerves. You're riding a long, everything is smooth and flat and then out of nowhere STEALTH HILL. Bastard. It doesn't look like a hill, it's not a hill if you are walking it, you don't notice it if you are driving but ride you bike on it and you might as well be riding up a wall.

The little snot's street has two hills but  they are real hills and you can see them coming and prepare for them. Too bad for the little bigot. I'll be back. His street isn't perfect, i.e suitable for use to land planes on, but I did it without too much cross-training. I miss walking my dog. No one ever  yelled at me or called me names when I walked her past their houses. Dogger is such a good ambassador. Also? she's a great big dawg and no one really wants to mess with a great big dawg. Piss with me when I'm on my bike?  You might as well go for it, there is almost no chance of me stopping and making you call me names to my face; Walking with  my great big dawg? I might feel brave enough to make you call me names to her face. .. And then you'll meet her and fall in love with her and the next time I walk past your house all you'll yell out is Hi Dogger! Once people get to know Dogger they hardly notice the white lady on the other end of her leash.

I'm shopping for a new bike route and my my options are few, my other ideas had to be disguarded because if there wasn't too much traffic, there was too much trafficing, and  I would  as soon not have to get away from a car trying to get away. I've watched cars trying to get away and they really don't want to share the road. They need to think twice about trying to run, the last guy who tried to run from our cops,  got away real good, he got dead. The cab thief died.

Too bad for the little bigot. I'll be back.  His street isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but since it doesn't require to much cross-training so it stays on my list.

No comments: