Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Go Time

Flag Dog

I was all ready planning on being at the polls when they opened. There shouldn't be much of a line as I am the only democrat in Wake County that hasn't voted yet - Which turns out to be very good news as it is going to be raining and rain is not good for poll numbers. Rain is historically good for Republicans and bad for democracy. And then my phone rang. Shockingly, it was the Democrats. They weren't just asking me to vote, they were asking me for a favor. It turns out they have not been able to get in touch with my precinct chair. It was now my job to go to the "sign shop" and pick up the signage for my polling place and then put the signs out in front of the building, back the offical 50 feet. I could do it this evening in the dark or I could do it tomorrow morning. In the rain and the dark.

I left to go to the sign shop immediately,once there they tried to give me a bunch of hand outs until I broke the news I wasn't going to be spending the day haunting the polling place as I had to go spend the day haunting my job. It shocked the poor wretch I spoke with, I'm pretty sure by the look in his face he hadn't dabbled in his real life in months. He took the hand outs back and I left with my signs. By the time I made it back home I had decided I needed a flag pin.

My first thought was that if I was looking for a flag pin I needed to go to Wallyworld, the discount jingoism capital of the world. Did you know that in Wallyworld that jingoism goes in and out of season? Right now it is the Christmas Season and they don't carry jingoistic items or anything else in the patriotic red-white-and-blue family anymore. I ended up buying a half a yard of flag printed fabric and a tube of fabric glue.

Okay. I have to be up early. Here is your job. If you have all ready voted, go you! You rock, but your work is not over. Now your job is to either help others go vote or if you can't do that, you can spend the hoping/praying/willing as many people as possible follow your lead.

Patroticat

Both Flag Dog and Patroticat both say:

GO!!OBAMAGO!! OBAMA!!GO!! OBAMA!!
GO!! OBAMAGO!! OBAMA!! GO! OBAMA!!
GO!! OBAMAGO!! OBAMA !!GO! OBAMA!!
GO!! OBAMAGO!! OBAMA!!GO! OBAMA !!
GO!! OBAMAGO!! OBAMA!!GO! OBAMA!!
GO!! OBAMAGO!! OBAMA!!GO! OBAMA!!

When I went to go set up my signs at a quarter to six this morning, in the dark and in the pouring rain, there was already a line to go vote. At 5:45 AM in the dark and in the rain. A line.

When I went back at 6:20 they had opened the doors and line was still out the door and down the sidewalk.

No comments: