Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's Friday!

I don't what day it is where you are but where I am today feels a lot like Friday. It's feeling Friday here because North Carolina holds on to its past as a theocracy and since Friday is Good Friday, I and the rest of the State Employees have the day off. So today is Friday.

Ha.

This weekend is Garden D Day. It will be tilled, it will be raised, hoses will be laid and rubber mulch will be put in place. In the rain if necessary because this shit is getting old and I want this thing done. My plants are scheduled to arrive between the 20th and the 28th and I want  my babies' nursery to be ready for them.

 I was not able to find green bean plants, which made me sad, but I was able to find green been seeds - Which does not make me happy but does cause me less sadness  because the seeds, unlike other kinds of seeds can be sown directly into the soil. This makes me happy. What has made me actually happy is to discover that broccoli is also a warm weather plant and I have a chance to try again with my baby brocs and hopefully this time I'll actually get broccoli.

Yes, this year I am concentrating on growing things I want to eat. No squash no cucumbers and no eggplant.  I'm still planting six different tomatoes that I'll have to disguise in order to eat but I can live with that subterfuge. I do eat peppers and that's good because I'll have six different  (sweet) varieties to work with.

Peppers, green beans and broccoli plus six different colors and varieties of tomatoes. Wow. Hopefully this years  new and improved super soil with amazing tilled action will help produce many, many of each and be-still-my-heart, larger vegetables. I was happy with my peppers last year but even I know that they were too small. The ones I saw at the store and at the farmers market were enormous, mine at home were dwarfy and my skimpy tomatoes were hardly impressive. I  don't blame them alone, my large tomatoes were not a massive variety  to begin with - I blame this on trying to grow them in solely in compost, which was not maybe the best idea. Soil is important too and I wasn't using any because I didn't have any.  The native dirt in my yard is made up of equal parts dust, shredded dog toys and pollen.

 This year I want to be impressed and even better I want my garden to impress. This year I'm going to give them a really nice nursery in real store bought potting soil, tilled native soil and of course, compost dirt. Not to mention the raised bed, the addition of soaker hoses,  timed watering, tomato cages and rubber mulch. Garden hubris aside, I would like to get something out of  all the work that this garden has all ready been and will be over the next several months besides sunburn and muscle strain.

No comments: