Monday, July 20, 2009

Garden Update 11

First off,

Yay! We have broccoli!
We do not have the crop of green beans I started with, but the one plant that's left seems healthy
In the back ground, you can see two lovely little gypsy peppers. Speaking of peppers...
And of course, tomatoes, tomatoes tomatoes
Those aren't grapes, that's what  happens when there are too many tomatoes for the branch to hold. It dips. I think that is also the sign of a lazy gardener. At present I have two different places where I can't pass because of dipping branches and I have branches that have taken up residence in other plants cages. I do not see this a good thing.
We had a storm the other night and it took three of my large tomatoes! I was broken hearted. I should be happy it didn't uproot any plants but I did have one plant tip over but the base was strong enough to not break but it could have, its the first time I was happy that plant has been so slow to grow fruits, if it had been as heavy as the others it would have been a loss. It is also a lesson on planting deep, the deeper you plant your plants the stronger a support system they develop and they can survive  assaults like a strong wind. I also credit the cage to keeping the plant safe and protecting it heavy weather. So 1) Plant deep and 2) Use  well made cages.
The whole gang
And the garden is only about vegetables, I also planted some flowers, my Spanish Flag is doing beautifully. I'm still waiting on my morning glories and black eyed Susan vines.

No comments: