Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harvest II

 
  
That's two days worth! I know! I'm shocked too. It turns out if you plant in good soil and you take care of the plants as they grow, you may be able to get fruit to ripen. I gave the vegetables in the first picture to a friend at work and I said "Well, that will be it for a while, I don't see anything else ripening up in the near future". Liar, liar.

I came home from work to check on the plants mostly to see how chewed up the peppers are getting and instead harvested tomatoes. The peppers are getting chewed though so it's time for another visit with Uncle Seven and hopefully it will clear whatever it is up. Something is being mean to my raspberries too and I'm not happy about it. I did get eleven or twelve berries off the plants and even as tiny as the output was, I'm taking it as a victory over the forces of  evil anyway.  Those bushes are going to have to be re-potted in the fall because even with their current state of random dead branchedness, they are still sizable plants. I could replant them but the holes would need to be massive and I'm not going to torture myself or anyone else with the job of digging to China. I'm pretty sure re-potting them is going to be enough of an adventure in horticulture itself, perhaps the job for an unwanted above ground pool?

Going back to the plants that are still actually producing, the orange tomato in the front of the second picture is a different variety than  the Carolina Gold pictured in the back, the front tomato is a Yellow Mama and it is a sauce tomato, it is the surviving sibling of the Tangerine Mama that died after planting and that Burpee refunded. The Yellow Mama took forever to start growing and even longer to set fruit and is the last of the tomatoes to ripen.  That variety unlike other non-red sauce tomatoes is supposed to retain its color after cooking, so if the plant was to ever produce a bumper crop I could conceivably make yellow spaghetti sauce. That would be neat.

Speaking of things that are not neat. I have a second degree burn on my arm!  my own Darkmark! Imagine me, a Deatheater...

 The doctor did say it had all ready begun to heal and that it looked very good and had no sign of infection! So no antibiotics for me, she did give me some silver sulfadiazine to lightly apply twice a day for the next two weeks. She did mention that despite the high quality healing , it is going to scar.. But that's all right,  I mean who wants to go through life with no proof that you've had a life? I mean really?  I've all ready decided that  it's not really a scar from a cooking mishap. The mark will be all that remains of a tattoo from some terribly exotic and secret  adventure I went on in my youth after which  I was forced to remove the tat when I returned to my prosaic reality where I tell everyone evermore that I got the scar from a cooking mishap.

No comments: