Monday, September 14, 2009

Garden Update 11

I'm back! I'm still tired but now I don't need twelve hours of sleep a night. I'm good with nine or ten.  Things are looking up, eventually I'm hoping to be able to be able to stay up until after dark.

Anyway. Garden Update 11 Time!

Well. Things have changed.

Things are a little sparser then they used to be, a little less full, a little less fertile a little less.  I think I went on vacation at a critical time for the garden and it suffered while I was gone. I didn't know that it was going to miss me!  I told everyone I know to go and get tomatoes and peppers and brocs but sadly, no one was able to and I think it really hurt the gardens feelings and it just stopped.
I feel really bad about the broccolis. I spent a lot of time worrying on them and picking wormies off them and now they've bolted!... I have failed them.

I was so into them before I left for vacation but three weeks without them and I just lost the plot. The good news is that 1) they do grow here and 2) I can grow them. Knowing that, next spring, I'm not sure I'm going to plant them again because they were the highest maintenance of any of the plants I put in and I'm not into high maintenance. I'm Ms. Green Pinky finger when it comes down to it.

The peppers are still rolling along.

I think all the peppers are producing a good little end-of-season-crop for me. Once this group is harvested though I'm going to pull the plants out. The same goes for the tomatoes and they aren't producing nearly as well as the peppers. I'm not holding my breath for the tomatoes to ripen.
In the defence of the tomatoes, there may very well be more of them out there but there is this gigantic spider web constructed in the airspace over the part of the garden where the tomatoes are planted and I am scared of the spider web. It's huge and I don't want to  meet the maker of it under any circumstances. Also? spiders are supposed to be our friends and eat all the bad bugs? I found a bad bug on one of my pepper plants and that tells me all I need to know about the spider who built that web.
I think the garden has about another two weeks in the ground to produce what it's going to produce because once the peppers are a leetle more mature I'm going to harvest the lot of them and pull the plants out and remove the rubber mulch and figure out how I'm going to store Frankenhose for next year, and later that day? start thinking about what I'm going to plant in the spring.

No comments: