Monday, September 28, 2009

Garden Update 12

At this point I thinking I would be posting some sort of Garden 2009 post mortem. I did not think I would still be harvesting much less planting (deep sigh) I was not going to replant the brocs. They were more trouble then they were worth, I did not love picking wormies off them, they were the only plants that required pesticides and they were hardly blockbuster producers, but I did find that they will grow here and more importantly, I can grow them. It would be so awesome to have broccoli from my own garden to serve at Thanksgiving.



I know! And what's worse? They are planted within sight of the brocs I pulled out.



The good news is that the new plants are still too short to see over the bed "walls" and the other ones are too dead to know there are new kids in the ground. There are a couple of other  plants, ones pepper and one tomato, I might be getting rid of soon because they aren't producing and no longer need to be there and need to move on to their new lives as mulch. My other plants are going like gangbusters though.













Wow! And I'm pretty sure that all these fruits are going to mature. I think the plants are really enjoying the cooler-ish weather that we are getting right now and they seem to be taking advantage of it.We've also had a couple of days of light rain and high humidity and it's showing. I was having problems with wilty plants, even with daily watering and that was frustrating to one and all but right now the plants and I would be happy with a few days of sunshine.

The plants are not going to be productive forever though. I was going to pull everything out all at once and put away franken hose and throw out the rubber mulch and think about what I want to do for next season. I all ready know that I am going to say "yes" to another season of Spanish Flag and "no" to more plant strangling morning glories.



family picture

There is more to my garden then just vegetables. I also have managed to keep my flowers alive all summer too. No one is more shocked than I am. I had planned over vacation to immediately rip out my of-course-dead flowers in the front and replant some fall hardy flowers. But then when I came home they hadn't died! And since then they have only gotten better looking. The veggies aren't the only plants enjoying our fall weather.






No comments: