Monday, December 14, 2009

Garden Update 15

I would say this is the last last Garden 2009 update. I took out the two remaining pepper plants and the much-more-hardy than I had expected pansies. I'm so proud of them, they were beautiful right up until the freeze. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to have to replant in the spring. These were super pansies.

A walk through gardens' memory lane. Sigh. They grow up so fast. They went in back in April and I took them out in December. I think that was a pretty good run.







Those were the days. Another sigh.

And then there were none. I pulled the most dead of the stranglers and left the strongest of the peppers but even the peppers finally gave up the ghost. We put a lot of leaves down and some dirt to get the process started and hopefully I can produce some of my own mulch so enrich the soil a little/ I put more dirt down when I unpotted the pansies. Pro Tip ? Don't wait until after the soil has frozen to try to get the plants out.



The baby brocs are still out there working - not very hard, but they're still in the ground and still green and they seem to be growing. The bugs got at them pretty good when they were really young and two of the plants didn't make it, but the rest are doing well.



In the midst of all this horticultural destruction, there is some life. My raspberry plants are still working. Don't they look sweet and delicious? They are. They really, really are.



I can't wait for my 2010  seed catalogs!

1 comment:

Eduth said...

I think you should have left the pansies in the ground. They are cold-hardy, which is why people plant them in the fall.