Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rant, Rant

Thanks to Anthony Bourdain, I now need to go to Turkey. I hate that. I never thought about Turkey and now I want to go there.  They also serve a lot of meat, I like meat, I don't really think I would enjoy a vegetarian culture - unless it was a very pretty vegetarian culture with lots of very bright colors and interesting images and exotic native costumes and access to McDonald's.

Bourdain goes to a lot of really neat places but he goes there as a man . He can do as he pleases. He seemed to have a very fab time in Saudi Arabia but as a woman, a thoroughly western woman, I would not feel comfortable there. I hide my light under a  veil  for no male dominated, paternalistic, closet case culture.

And no burqas. Turkey is a burqa free zone. I have to go to a burqa free zone. I object to covering my hair in Mass and I would certainly not be able to tolerate a burqa positive culture. I would get cranky and probably end up in some burqa refusenik prison. A vegetarian prison.

Speaking of burqa positive cultures, I am a little curious about the Latin rite Mass that they do at the cathedral every month. I think if I wanted to go, I would have to go when it was warmer - so that I could wear a short skirt and a halter top and a mantilla.  I  would just sit there, braless, and think about the things I could be covering up but didn't have to because my hair  damn it, I covered my hair!

The size of my mantilla it would depend on what kind of a hair day I was having - A mantilla hanky hair day or a full on LOOK AT ME I COVER MY HAIR lace shawl hair day. Or  not, maybe I would decide by my wardrobe,  if I wore a longer skirt I would only wear a hanky on my hair because if I wore a mini I would probably feel obligated to go with the LAMICMA shawl. Because I'm a nice girl.

No comments: