Friday, January 22, 2010

Woke Me Up Before They Went, Went

I’ve had a “better Mouse Trap” idea. Every alarm clock makes the same shrieking, buzzing, ringing noises. So easy to ignore, so pleasurable to sleep through. Do you know what will really wake your ass up? The sounds of Shattering Glass! You are not going to sleep through that. You can’t.

The sound of shattering glass will have you up and about and wide awake with all the lights on and ready to go to in seconds. Nobody can sleep through the sounds of a window being smashed. I didn’t. I was standing upright in the middle of the room before I figured out it was not my windows being smashed and it didn’t seem to be my neighbors windows either. No alarms were going off and Dogger was not concerned. I would like to think if it was my window that Dogger would have all ready been in the process of taking limbs off the intruder. Dogger doesn’t like people to walk on the street past my house at night and she was not barking. The smashing glass alarm clock idea is not suitable for use with dogs.

While I was up and still wound up I dutifully checked all  my windows and my alarm. All intact, all in working order. Now that I was awake, I even figured out what house was being broken into. The same house that I over heard being broken into months ago.  A perfect place to crash and burn and it will burn. That’s what “we” do to empty houses in my neighborhood, “we” burn them down. I don’t want a burning house that close to my house. "We" need to find another house to crash and burn.

I did not call the police at 3:23 am because that seemed like a lot of work, instead  I called 911 at 6:15 am - the windows were still broken, there was no rush, and they promised to send an officer. I saw no signs of police presence before I left for work or after work when I drove past the house this afternoon. After I called 911, I called the city as there is no law against not boarding up your windows. By 5pm,  the windows were not boarded up, there were no notices to the landlords or any police tape in evidence. When I spoke to the the city I also told to them about the house at the other end of the street that is also abandoned and being slowly destroyed. They didn’t know about either of them. I spoke to  yet another city office to whom I turned over the renters and their mini van that has been parked in the street for the last several weeks. That now has a sticker and seven days to be moved. The harmless dead car got action. A dangerous dead house gets ignored.

No comments: