Monday, March 15, 2010

Green

You can tell its spring because the kids from across the street are allowed outside. I haven't seen them since the first frost. You wouldn't even know there are people living there much less four children. I don't see them leave from school I don't see them come back. I can't say for sure that they even live there during the winter. It was the same last year. I can't also say for sure that there is electricity there over the winter either, you will never see a light on or a glow from a TV through the window. But its spring now and my tree is blooming and the older boy is outside throwing a football with his sister.

Speaking of spring. it is planting season. I planted my flower seeds! Have you ever seen a flower seed? Grains of sand are easier to manipulate. The instructions on my little seed starting kits directed me to put three seeds per tiny  pot. When I opened the first envelope and found a second smaller envelope inside that I discovered that you would need a magnifying glass and very expensive tweezers to achieve this. Poppy seeds are especially unmanageable. I bought a lot of poppy seeds. I bought a lot of seeds period.

For the time being they don't look like much



And doesn't my entry way make a lovely plant nursery? Warm, out of direct sunlight and if that floor gets a little damp? Well, no harm no foul. I could have used my basement but I decided it was a little too out of direct sunlight and it would be harder for me to keep an eye on them Those seeds are going to start sprouting in a couple of weeks and they are going to look around and notice that there are hundreds of them and only one of me. But I'll be ready, I went to Poverty Barn and loaded up on ice buckets slash planters.



 I'll be able to say You think you're all that uh? Well come and get me! I have pots on top of pots waiting for you! You're all bad ass right now but wait until I separate you from your little friends and get you settled into your permanent address. We'll see who the bad ass is then won't we? And speaking of bad ass? I got those planters for a song, I bought two more of the larger size I had last year and six of the smaller ones for my stairs. $3 a pop for the little ones and $5 for the larger. Buying store bought planters is for suckers - if you have a drill you have a planter and they are guaranteed to be much cuter and to your taste than what you can find in the stores. What I want now is a drill bit suitable for drilling drainage holes in ceramic - because that would be awesome and open a whole world of  decorative planters for me.

The vegetable seeds were much easier to deal with because they are bigger and if even a quarter of my green beans sprout, I'm going to have a lot of green beans and most likely more luffas that I may need for personal use. I do hope my friends and extended family enjoy getting personal grooming tools as gifts. And green beans, are frozen vegetables suitable for gift giving? Merry Christmas! Its green beans! or maybe they can be Thanksgiving gifts? Housewarming gifts, wedding gifts...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.