Monday, June 21, 2010

Garden Update 11

I was going to  brag about multi-tasking and being all efficient but every time I try to multi-task I remind myself of my friend who speaks five languages but none of them well. Also I'm not sure I could claim correcting my hair color as my task.

Its odd, the longer your body has to practice doing something the more it makes mistakes doing it. My hair for example, even with forty some years to get it right and it did get it right for decades,  has either developed some sort of follicular Alzheimer's or its just mean and lazy. It all together forgets  or "forgets" depending on how I am feeling about it - that I have dark hair and tries to sneak in these really horrible, clearly wrong light hairs. I tried to claim these were highlights but yeah, really? not so much. I have to step away from my work from time to time to do its. It's hard being in management.

I have good garden news. I have tomatoes! And not just tomatoes, I have a very nearly ripe tomato. A very nearly ripe  tomato - I know, you're saying a tomato Call me when you have an actual ripe tomato, better yet, Shut up and call me when you have plural ripeness.

Well. You shut up. I have some  not as nearly ripe too and my the time you read this I may have three ripe tomatoes. They are 4th of July tomatoes are are supposed to be the earliest ripening of all the tomatoes. I thought they were bigger fruits but I'll live with them because ripe is ripe. They aren't cherry tomatoes by any means more like maybe small plums or little peaches.

 In the experimental garden the Carolina Golds two of the many are getting large and will soon be gold, in the traditional garden there are many, many, many  fetal baby tomatoes and on one plant  that I couldn't get close enough to check what kind it was, has two huge examples and they are nowhere near ready to go. I do have two plants that haven't produced anything. I am hopeing it is because they are going to produce big enormous fruits and they need the time to gather their strength for  the huge things to come.

The peppers are doing nothing as per usual with peppers in my gardens. The experimental pepper has started to grow up and out  and put on weight but it is also doing nothing -  So I gather everything is okay. The green beans are beaning along but I have run across several that are yellow and empty - I don't know what causes this but I know its not a sign of good things to come. The beans near the tomatoes are getting an odd haze on the leaves but on the other side of the path, away from the tomatoes,  the other beans have new blooms and are covered with baby beanlings. I bought more freezer bags in hopes of having lots of beans to freeze. I am also thinking of planting more bean seeds.

Do tomatoes freeze?

No comments: