Monday, August 28, 2017

Monday


I mowed the yard and did laundry and finally put my stuff away from vacation, I made a tart thing from two apples that got left in my refrigerator while I was away on vacation and slept late.

I also spent a lot of time reading about Houston and right now as I am sitting here I am realizing that my friend Deborah retired to her daughter's house in Houston and I wonder how they are doing?  She isn't on Facebook and I don't know her daughters name and I don't think I have a number for her. I have an address but I'm not sure what I did with it.

If I did get in touch with her,I would be obligated to tell her that her friend died or maybe not, maybe this isn't the right moment for that. Is there a way I can put someones address in and see if its part of the flooded city? I know that not all of Houston is under water, its a vast city.

I did some research and I do have her address, at least an old address. She lived in Splendora, which is 45 minutes from Houston proper but I don't know if that means anything, I haven't heard if the northern suburbs are getting the same abuse as the more central areas.  Its late now, maybe I'll try to call her tomorrow.

That's the same reason that they couldn't just evacuate the city. When you say Evacuate the City - you aren't just saying "The City of Houston, you are saying the city itself proper, which is huge but also the suburbs, which also make up the City of Houston.  That is millions of people, the only way you could have got that many millions of people out of the area was to get  them on the road before anyone even knew there was a storm. And then, where exactly would all those millions of people go once they were successfully evacuated from the area?

You get the picture.  There was nowhere for them to go, you can not absorb that many people. When they evacuated New Orleans, 350,000  of them went to Houston and Houston handled it, more or less. Certainly better than Dallas that thought that the 150,000 people that showed up were there for a convention.

I read that today Dallas opened a shelter that can take 5000 people. Good for them.

No comments: