Thursday, April 24, 2003

Music to My Ears

I was going through a box of old tapes, audiotapes. I was the last person inAmerica and possibly the West, still buying them. I didn’t have a CD player that was not attached to my computer until last Christmas. Yes, pity me. And the tape player in my car worked fine. Emphasis on worked, as in no longer working. As in stuck in a bad radio town with no alternates to the suck.

So I have all these tapes. And after looking at them, I have never met a sound track that I didn’t like.

Repo Man – Did I even see this movie? The Sheen brothers as guys with real jobs? Did one of them write it? It’s not even an original tape. It’s a copy. Did I want it so much that I taped it off some one? Scary.

Saturday Mornings, Cartoons Greatest Hits – I needed a tarted up version of the Popeye Theme? Did you know that the Ramones did a version of Stop That Pigeon!

Sister Act 1 and 2 – Choral music is the bomb? I'm a completest and I can't stop myself?

Hiding Out – The cover art features Jon Cryer. Left over Ducky love?

White Knights – Ballet and the Cold War. Not a bad sound track if you’re stuck in a car for three days with your family and it’s you and your Walkman against the world.

Xanadu – I was very young then. It had roller-skating.

Northern Exposure – Not one but two compilation tapes. Chris in the Morning played some good music.

Working Girl - I was in a Carly Simon place.

Dick Tracy – Madonna. Whatever.

After too many bad songs from bad movies I moved on to instrumentals

Schindlers List – I can’t imagine I listened to this. The names of the pieces are enough to make me cry, “Krakow Ghetto – Winter ‘41” “Auschwitz-Birkenau”.

Dead Poet Society – John Williams is a god. This is really a compilation of scores. Williams is the genius behind the Barn Raising music in Witness.

Jurassic Park – Loud but good. Does its job. You can follow the progress of the movie with out the pictures to guide you.

Bodies, Rest & Motion - It’s better then it sounds. Shut Up.

At the bottom of the pile we have the Great Shame. I own an Emo Phillips tape. And Bobcat Goldthwait . In my defense I also have Richard Pryor and pre-schmaltz Robin Williams.

The CD collection is young but I all ready have three Partridge Family albums and something by the Benzedrine Monks, which turns out to be a Gregorian chant cover band.

Listening to – Come on Up To The Rising, Bruce Springsteen. I’m branching out.

While I was rummaging through boxes yesterday I came across copies of scripts I wrote, if I posted these, would anyone be interested in reading them? Anyone? Anyone.



Okay, just me and the Crickets








No comments: