Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Signs of The Times


I love signs. Not Mel Gibson Signs. Posted notices. I collect pictures of interesting signs. You see Children Playing signs everyday, how often do you see an Old Person Crossing?, if you live outside London, at least once. Signs trumpeting that this group is proud to be Athletic Supporters! a street sign warning of Up Coming Undulations. I drove past a Duckling Crossing for years. On vacation I saw a sign alerting motorists that a Blind Person Lives Here on the street and to be careful.

Today I saw a sign waring that the metal play equipment can get hot in the sun. Down the street from me is a building that rents to a couple of Bail Bonds services. One is "Getumout" and the other is "Latin Princess". I understand Getumout, but what is Latin Princess about? do you genuflect in front of a Jennifer Lopez poster before you get your money? and why is a Latin Princess bailing anyone out? a real Princess would tell you that if La Vida was getting too Loca, that you need to get stepping.

Which leads me to my favorite posted notice. The "How To Answer the Phone" notice that is taped above the good copy machine.

How To Answer the Phone. It's not rocket science. The job even sent us all to a two hour semniar and phone etiquette . My old job inserviced us on it about three times a year. And yet the other day my favorite secretary asked a caller "What is your problem and why are you calling us? is this about a Psychiatric Hospital? "

The sign at work is very clear :

Have pen and pencil at hand - Fine, I think we can agree that we want to be able to write down callers information. It does not specifically prohibition red marker on the back of a personal receipt, written in that short hand you created yourself... maybe they will call back. We have voice mail anyway. The next time she calls she can talk to the phone.

Answer the phone on the first ring - again fine, if you're at your desk, If you're one of the secretaries at my office this is a challenge. I may be at my desk. but what if one of the other ladies wants this call? what if it is for one of them? just sit there and listen to it ring until you have satisfied yourself that no one else is going to answer. And when you do answer, be sure to let the caller know that someone else should have had to answer it. You are eating breakfast.

Give callers the option of leaving voice mail or calling back - Or you could use the most popular option. You can pageover the speaker system at the top of your voice so that everyone in the building knows that "Mary" has a call. There are only six women named "Mary" in the building. Be diligent, if you can't find the right "Mary" just send the call to a "Mary". Failing any alternate Mary's to foist the call on, send it ME. I love getting barked at by callers because I am not Mary, they have been on hold for ten minutes and I'm not able to answer their question.

Thank the caller for holding - before they get mad and hang up and call back and start the whole merry ride again.

Don't take irate callers personally - After awhile you don't mind being accused of being in league with the devil at all.


No comments: