Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Kiss My Aunt Fan(dom)


Dear Fans of A TV Show I watch,

Yay! The show got picked up! Woo-Hoo! Very close call there, again. But we get another season.

Wait, you heard from your friend on another forum that she/he heard from a poster on some board that there was a article on some entertainment webzine that one of the actresses wouldn’t be back as a regular cast member! OMG! Whip out the gasoline I think we should all set ourselves a flame in protest!

She was totally forced out. Really

It couldn’t be her idea at all, you say? She wouldn’t so that to us! I mean she told us she loved us right? In that interview a couple of years ago in that German fan magazine? Some one must have a link to it?

This is an outrage! You say, I’m (you are) never going to watch this show again. I (you) really don’t like Second Male Lead or Third Male Lead or Second Female Lead at all! Male Lead is a wanker too! I hate this show. I hate the story line, the plot, the whole idea of this show, this is my favorite show, up till right now, now I Hate, it hate it hate it. I only watch for Female lead (girl crush). She hasn’t been around much what with getting knocked up this season and last season those pesky, yet entirely not her fault, most likely a plot by the producers, absences from the show at vitally important times.

I think we need a pettion! You say, we should start a pettion and send it to the network! Show them that we mean business! They will totally cave to the power of the Internet petition!

And web sites! We (you) can put up lots of web sites dedicated to our Loathing of the Network and their unfair treatment of our Heroine. Because she would never rather spend her time with other more lucrative less genre specific projects and her newborn. Lets pelt them with emails as well! And the production company behind all this. This is their fault.

And those new actors they are daring to bring in! That is just a way of writing our (your girl crush) Heroine out! I hate that actor! We all ready have a male lead! We don’t need another. Much less one as talented with a strong fan base of his own. We need a strong female lead! We love her! Everyone else hates her (us) she is so good and pure and everyone still thinks she’s (me, we are) is a Bitch! Unfair! Our fragile, baby self worth will plummet. WAAAAAH!


Get a God Damned Grip.

It is even worse when an actor leaves for greener pastures and the story line dictates that the character dies. Good God.

One of the shows I watch (I watch a lot of TV) had an actor who wanted out. She was very busy with other projects and the acting gig wasn't working for her. So, they came up with a really good, plot moving forward idea – Kill Her.

The online response to this was outrageous.

You would have thought the producers and writers took the actress out to the desert, killed her, laughed about it then danced on her shallow grave.

The actress lives on. The response was more explosive then if the actress herself had died. There was no rational response to be found. You couldn’t go to a forum and say, “Oh, yeah, I heard her next project is really fantastic”, with out a chorus of discontent shouting back “SHE’S DEAD! THEY KILLED HER”. This raged for months.

The actress had to address it over and over, the producers had to explain themselves over and over. The fans never did. No explanation of this sudden loss of mind or any kind of rational acknowledgment that they were actively mourning a fictious character.

I wanted some. I wanted them to apologize to me for making all the fans of the show look like raving loonies.

Is it just genre shows that have these crazy people attracted to them? Is it just Sci-Fi shows> they have to be aware there are no vampires or transporter beams – those are the things that would make this real world so much more tolerable.

To test this I joined a number of mailing lists (I watch a lot of TV) to see. Well, there is Sci-Fi, Genre Crazy and then there is:

1. Teenyboppers – I lurve him! BlahNBlah 4eva! DoN’T YoU ThinK ThAT He iz a HOOTTTTYYY! Me Do!


2. Procedural Geeks – I can’t not believe that had him pull out a Glicktyspeh 2456! Don’t they know that the department only uses Chipptygyups 34-67. Sloppy production values, did anyone else notice that Male Lead wore his badge on a string? WTF it goes on a regulation lanyard!

3. The Continuity Police – WTF! They showed her in red finger nail polish! She hates that color. She said it in ep 6-15 that she really “preferred pink”. Okay, three seasons ago in ep 3-6, Male Lead mentioned in that he once dated a woman named Jennifer. Now what is this in ep 6-18 about him not knowing any Jennifer’s!

4. The Troll – I don’t even watch this show but I can tell it sux. You people all sux. It is just a TV show! You peple all sux

5. The Amateur Psychologist – Writes a huge, bandwidth hogging treatise on the psychological damages of the Lead Male and Female characters, the second and third leads, a couple of special guest drug dealers/victim of the weeks and the show s creator. Is an English major but taking Psych 101 this semester and is getting a “B”.

6. The Real Life Relationshipper - Are A and B really dating! I wish they were! They should! I have a site dedicated to their (imaginary) real life relationship!




I give up. Crazy, No Life Having, real life rejecting, needs to get outside Fandoms cross all genres.

The only TV character worth crying over was Henry Blake.










No comments: