Friday, June 20, 2003

Book ‘em, Diana-o


I am required to point out that the new Harry Potter is being released into the wild this weekend.

It is also being released into my living room, so you know what I will be doing this weekend. It is also not supposed to rain, so if my deck chairs have dried out I may read outside. But I’m going to be reading. All. Weekend.

Dogger and Kitty are going to have to lean on each other for support during this time. If I were wise, I would put the book aside and take it with me for vacation. I am going on vacation. I will not be able to update often, but I’ll try. I am not going to wait to read this book. I am going to read the whole damn thing. This weekend. I can do it.

I will not be dressing up like a Junior Wizard. I may wave my Official Harry Potter Magic Wand around if the UPS guy is tardy, but there will be no hat wearing or cloak involved. I will not be waiting in line at 12:01 to get my copy. I’m waiting, like an adult, for my UPS man to deliver it to my door. I may be in the entryway when it comes, or sitting on my front patio, but I could be doing that anyway. It won’t be raining and I have front yard things to do. I am a grown up. I may be waiting in the driveway for him, but I need to sweep it anyway. I didn’t do a chair dance of joy when I got the email about my package being shipped. Its not like I’m tracking my order compulsively or anything. I might get curious. I don’t have it book marked at work and at home.

Since it is summer and that is when many of us put down our remotes and pick up Stephen King, I went looking for book reviews.

After and exhaustive search of just about everything Google had book review site wise and I found a lot. Here are some that looked the most fun and least corporate.


Books Sluts – Interesting titles, decent reviews. A good professional looking site.

Nabou.com – reviews of classic titles. I only found one site doing this. Go to the beach and look smart.

Curled Up.com – More good titles.

All Readers .com – Many, Many reviews of popular authors and series. Reviews by Joe Reader. Offers forums.

Literature Reviews – Books you should read, but haven’t.


So after you finish The Book and before you reread the earlier titles, go to the site that does the most for you and see what else people are reading.

I could have read a book about gardening and learned that you don’t plant garlic in the spring, you plant it in the fall and harvest in the spring. Smart gardeners put their little garlic’s in the ground in September and ignore them until the spring. A smart gardener then harvests her full-grown garlic’s no later then the first of June. She does not plant them the first of May. I will be planting more garlic in the fall. I will plant Elephant garlic and I will score pretty flowers to boot. And I will have lots and lots of garlic and no vampires.

Alert reader Cousin Chris send me a neat link but the page had expired. It was kewl. If the hyper links don't work, its not for lack of trying. Over and over and over. Go to google.com, put in Review+Books and follow your nose.





















No comments: