Monday, August 18, 2003

Ms. Blackjeans Strikes Again


I harvested my potatoes today. It’s a good thing I wasn’t planning on using the crop to get me through the winter. Only the Irish know my potato famine pain. I got two potatoes. Two little, tiny, dwarf potatoes. Sad little things. Not even those cute little “baby” potatoes. Baby potatoes even a mother potato would be ashamed of – probably go to genetic counselor to see what the matter, think perhaps, of adopting next time.

After recovering from my post harvest depression, I looked up on a vegetable site and there was an answer in their FAQ about LTD potato syndrome. It has to do with too much nitrogen or nitrates in the soil. Or that potatoes don’t like being grown in containers. Whatever
I am moving past this and am concentrating on my future garlic crop.

So what did we learn? Potatoes? Not container plants, carrots? Just bastards, garlic? Plant In The Fall Harvest In The Spring.

Next year I might just to flowers. The flowers are sad and ratty right now, but that’s the endless rain, not so much my piddly gardening skills.

I was in the car this weekend and I was thinking that it might be time to pull out my cars sunshade wardrobe. In August. I should have pulled these out in May. But it was raining in May. And June. And July. And Most Of August. I haven’t needed to pull out the sunshades because the sun hasn’t been out. All Summer.

Since there was a break in the rain this weekend I was finally able to do something about the front yard. I’ve been paying this guy to mow my yard for me. This makes my life easier. This makes my yard look nice. This makes me poor.

So. Off to the home improvement store. Brosky brought me an early birthday present. I am now the owner of a socket set. I need a socket set so that I can do whatever it is you do with lawn Mower blades when bend the blade.

The lawn mower guy was setting his mower too high. One week out and the lawn was looking like I was out of town for an extended time. That’s what happens when some one is paid by the lawn, if the lawn doesn’t need to be mowed they don’t get paid. Long Yards need to be mowed, Ka-Ching.

I also trimmed my shrubbery. It was looking really bad, I didn’t realize how bad until I drove up after I did the clipping and I noticed I have two windows in the front. While I would be happy to let the backyard seed itself into oblivion, I do have some pride about the front yard. The good neighbor's house is lovely and I aim to keep up with them.

Seeing the two windows has reminded me I want to get shutters for them. Lets see, paint doors, tart up little windows, get and apply shutters, paving stones for back yard, plant perennials in the front, take down ugly shrub in front, paint bedroom, paint bathroom, deal with the upstairs, pull up carpet in office room, think about carpet for dining room Damn. I’ve been watching too many home improvement shows.

I went shopping yesterday and it wasn’t at Lowes! Huzzah! Clothing for me Shoes for my feet!

Lowes is cheaper.

I did end up with some really nice sneakers and a cute top I’ve been eyeing since last February. It was really over priced, I got it for $6. Ha.

Now, while we're talking about the mall. Why do people let each other out of the house dressed like that? Why are little girls wearing their pajamas to the mall? I saw a picture of some aging starlet and her brood and one of them was wearing pajamas. I chalked it up to too much money, too many stylists, too much time under the sun lamp to know better. What was the girl at the mall's excuse? Too Stupid. Oh, and on that note, if you have a fat ass, don't wear shorts emblazoned with "Phat" across said fat ass.

I’m still in the market for some walking shoes. I found one pair I liked but they were the wrong size. It’s always that way with shoes – right price, wrong size, wrong price, right size. I looked online for the brand and at some point the right size and the right price will happen. I also found Bowling Shoes. Right Shoe, Right Price, Right Ugly.

No comments: