Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Snow Daze

I get up. I get dressed, I take the dog out. I watch the dog do 180s in the yard and we go back inside. I’m still going to work. I feed the dog, read the paper that actually arrived this morning and took the dog out again. I do 180s in the yard. I am still going to work.

I call in and someone answers the phone. Curses. I am going to have to go to work. The good news is there are only two people in and I don’t have to go in. I take the dog out again, we both do 180s in the yard and I change back into my jammies and go back to bed.

Two hours later. I get back up, get dressed again and take the dog out again. It is still cold and wet, it may be slightly less dark. But. I have to go to work. Okay, have verses need. I left a pile of stuff on my desk that I was going to “deal with on Monday”. Some of the pile did actually have to be dealt with on Monday and on Monday it was going to be dealt with. I decided I should at least see if I could move the truck. It moved! It moved.

Okay. I’m going to go to work. I get my purse and coat and gloves and rubber boots. Note I did not mention shoes. I didn’t notice this over site until I gone too far to go back – about two blocks. So I keep going. Some SOB passed me! on the ice!

There are down sides to urban living. The Drug Dealer for instance. But. My streets get plowed first. So I got to work and I got there with relatively little hassle. I should have unstuck my wind shield wipers before I left. I said relatively little hassle… I get there and realized I was dressed like a Hobbit, blazer, vest, rubber boots. It’s a good thing I’m tall and the people who were there aren’t big on pop culture references or Hobbits. I was just relived I didn’t show up at work in one or more pieces of my pajamas. It had been a long morning.

I did my two hours of work. My boss got to see me being all good and responsible and at work. Then I noticed something was falling from the sky and it wasn’t skittles™. So I went back home and took the dog out again and changed my clothes again.

What do people do all day when they don’t work outside the house? When they are not changing in and out of their clothes three times in four hours or searching for their shoes or gloves or their other gloves or the scarf they like better… They work. They do stuff. I get that. They leave the house, they run errands . I can’t leave the damn house. I am stuck in here. Mother Nature grounded me.

Taking the Dogger out. This was so much easier, say Saturday. Now I have to find my boots, under foot all the time unless I’m trying to find them, round up my gloves, the coat, the Doggers’ coat, and sometimes my hat. Just to go outside! This sucks.

Dogger and I finally did go out because she was driving me crazy and I couldn’t face Judging Amy or yet another BBC home improvement show. Why yes, I am still eating cake.

We did have a nice walk. A nice long walk. Dogger is made for long walks in the snow. She has enormous feet and goes across the snow like a sled dog. I think Dogger could pull me across the ice if I had a sled. IditerDogger! I slipped a few times and this scared her a little. As soon as I hit the ground, she whipped around and looked as concerned as a large red dog can.

When will it be summer again?

No comments: