Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I still don’t have a computer

Rant On

I have noticed that the people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them.
-- E. V. Lucas
http://cfcl.com/vlb/Memes/iow_prev.shtml#_prev

http://www.iampariah.com/projects/memeslist.php

Tardiness is a major issue to me. If I were ever in charge I would really have to put a stop to habitual tardiness. It’s disrespectful and lazy. My office is populated by people who seem to think that time is elastic and variable. If mine isn't how is theirs? These people wander in whenever they feel like it, whenever they get ready - late. It makes me crazy. Why can’ these people have a schedule in the morning? I understand that most people have families to get ready in the morning, but - don't they have to be someplace at the same time everyday as well?

Why do they think that being late is okay? It’s not okay! In my world, and it is, make no mistake, my world, it's wrong and its a serious character flaw. If I can get to where I am going every morning why can’t everybody else

? This is a huge deal to me. I have an alarm, I get up, I get dressed I read the paper and deal with the animals, with one eye on the clock! I know how long each task takes. I should run a seminar on cut outing tardiness. And effective ways of tormenting the tardy. I don’t think corporal punishment is out of hand and failing that, for habitual tardies? Capital punishment might act as an object lesson to the rest of the slackers.

"Oh, I'm sorry! This is the fourth time this week and the sixteenth time this month you've been late. Please step over the wall and your executioner will be with you shortly"

I liked the quote because it's so true. Folks who wander in when ever they feel like it seem to affect this jovial attitude about it, like its funny that they can’t make in on time. It’s not jolly and the rest of us are not laughing. It’s not a good habit. I like things to have a scheduled quality. I would to know that X thing is going to happen at X time. I know this isn’t always going to be possible, shit happens, but if it is understood that you are going to be at a place at a time, you should leave where ever you are in time so that you can get there. You don not leave wherever you are at X time if you are supposed to be arriving at X time! It bugs the shit out of me every time. I don’t need to be able to set my time by other people but I would like them to at least have the good manors to show up when they are supposed to show up.

I have been late, I’m not perfect. It happens to all of us. But I don’t do it on purpose and I make sure it doesn’t happen again for the specific reason I was late. I leave early, change the route, and make everything tighter.

/Rant over.

No comments: