Monday, February 23, 2004

Stop me before I Bid Again

Ebay is a bad, bad thing.

One of my friends turned me back on to Ebay. She is a mean lady. I started out looking for stuff, just getting my feet wet. So far so good. Then I decided that the knotty pine attic space needed something - it needed some out doorsey nature themed stuff and it needed it from Ebay. I didn't find any that I liked, okay, I found some wall paper border that rawks, but that action isn't up for another four days and, ya know. I get bored.

So. Then I started to think that the upstairs really needs light. Really, really kewl lights. I think about the knotty pine, the low ceilings the general cavelike nature of the space. So I right away think about retro/vintage/eames/midcentury table lamps. Well, first I tried searching for "retro" and didn't find anything, then I did "vintage" which got me a lot of Oil Lamps. I screwed around with "rustic" and "lodge" themed before I followed "Eames". Today I went with "Mid Century" also "Art Deco" - ugly and expensive and "Danish Modern" sadly, less expensive.

As soon as I find one I can't live with out, everybody suddenly also can't live with out it. Everybody has much thicker wallets and higher credit limits then I do. So far everybody has snaked my lamps. Bastards. There I am doing the hard work for them, trying to figure out where the ggod laps are hiding - Okay! Vintage! Woo-Ho-, No! Damn it! Retro! no, tacky, Eames!!! Oh My Gawd! its the mother load! so far I have had four? five? really awesome Eames lamps stolen by higher bidders. Bastards

I'm getting smarter. Instead of bidding too early, a total kiss of Eames death, I'm just watching the stuff I'm interested in, I was very unsmart today though. I found two that I really, really need - one or the other, there is no way I'll get both, but, they have a reserve. Which sucks. Hard. I don't think they really want to sell them, the seller is just trying to get a figure for their home owners insurance. Lamp Teases.



No comments: