Wednesday, February 18, 2004

If Ya Don’t Like The Weather, wait five minutes…


Growing up in Texas I thought I knew from weather suffering from multiple personality disorder. Its cold, it’s raining, it’s hot, now it’s snowing. It sucks but it’s interesting.

I also liked the seasons. All two of them. It was very hot until it was very cold and then it was very hot again. Its simple but there is a rhythm to it and you get used to it.

And then I moved here. With all its seasons. Multiple seasons. Multiple tiresome seasons. Spring and Summer and Fall, Fall they get a real Fall! Too lazy just to get on with winter they insist on stalling. The colored leaves and the less heat and the autumnal autumnness of it all, I get, I like the orange leaves. They also don’t understand that basketball is a just a game, something that kids play in the park, its not a big deal thing. It’s not Football. They don’t understand that football is a religion.

The only pro football team this place has just went to the Super Bowl and you couldn’t even tell! I went to the boat show that afternoon and the place was full of people! What were they thinking! If your team is going to the Super Bowl you do not leave your TV! You stay there! It doesn’t matter that the game hasn’t started yet! You have your place and it is not at a boat show.

It’s just sad.

This morning it was cold. It’s February. Cold is normal. Fine. Then it was snowing. A lot of snowing. That’s okay too. I like snow. It didn’t last, after it snowed it rained and then it sleeted. Yuck. Sleet is not nice and cold rain is even less nice then sleet. Snow is nice.

After we ran through winters repertoire we settled on Cold. Not an original choice. It’s just cold. Cold and dark. But it was bright. Snow is bright. After winter rain through most of its repertoire, it settled on cold. Cold and dark. Winter came back for the second act and brought ice with it. Goodie, nothing betters then cold and icy. It may also snow again.

Yay Winter. It didn’t have to be such a curb buster and do everything all in one day. It could have just been really cold, or just snowed – people really like snow, it’s a top ten hit! but no Winter had to be all over achiever . Next we had rain and sleet! Go Winter!

I miss Summer. I miss being warm. Okay, I miss the blast furnace of my youth! I miss leaving the house in the morning and feeling all the moisture in my body suddenly evaporating. I miss walking into a wall of heat. I don’t miss the sweat. I don’t miss being hot at ten after seven in the morning. It was warm though! Even when it was very cold there was warmth in it. Kind of. If you live with heat you get thin blood, any amount of cold was very cold. I miss it though. It was transient. Here? It gets cold and stays that way. For Months! Like a whole season dedicated to being cold. Like it thinks its winter or something. I liked winter better when it came and went, I don’t like it when it becomes a life style choice.

I went and put gas in the truck after work and some guy gave me a rose. I always knew I looked fetching in my parka!




No comments: