Monday, March 1, 2004

Have a Problem? Complain About It!


Take a look at the page.

What is different? And not the links I fixed last week, something more obvious. Look around, what about it is different today verses, say Friday. I’m using the same template, I haven’t changed the words underneath it, it still says The Lost Kitty Lose Weight Now, On the Luddite Tour 2004 or whatever it says. I didn’t mess with the archives, yet and there are no new links.

If you said “Hey, what happened to the ad banner?

Ding!Ding!Ding Right Answer! I really don’t pay much attention to the ad banner. I looked at it occasionally and it was always dog and cat clothing or rubber boots. I thought that was about it for those ads. I thought maybe it was a keyword thing, ya know, I talk about Dogger and her new sweater and lo and behold there would be a Dog Clothing ad or something. I said something about the wonders of Rubber Boots and there was an ad, I talk about gardening and there would be some garden ads. Fine, no problem. In fact I kind of liked how they more or less commented on the content. I thought that was cool.

Well.

On Friday I noticed the ads had changed. Good, I get tired of looking at the same ones. In the place of the one Rubber Boot ad was an ad for the GOP. I was horrified. It was pimping the President, on my site!!!. I have no problem with rubber boots or pet clothing or organic vegetables, but the president!

That was below the belt.

I did kind of know on some level that the ads being somewhat in sync with the content was Big Brotherish. I knew that. But, it’s a free site and for free you get Big Brother. You just hope it’s a nice big brother and not the kind who gives you wedgies and dunks you in the pool.

Big Brother tried to drown me.

So. I went to Blogger support and looked at the run down of tech support topics. There wasn’t one for How Do I Get Shit Of My Page? , so I kept looking and found something marked “Wish List”. I certainly wished that the ad be removed from my page, so I went there. I wrote a polite, yet, pointed email, about how I was less then thrilled about the ad content and I would like for that ad to go away. Now.

I emailed it off, but didn’t hold my breath. I’m getting this for free, so I don’t expect a lot of support from TPTB. I’m just happy to have the site at all. I deal.
Well. I was able to check my email again, my machine mooching knows no bounds and I found first an automated response that said “Yadda Thanks For Playing! Yadda whatever” and then not ten minutes later, a real response! From a real person fixing my problem! I got an upgrade to a no ad page! I was and am shocked. Not only removed the offending ad, but removed all of them! For free! And all I did was complain. I could have just waited for it to go away, and then have it or something even worse come back. I didn’t want that. I asked and I was rewarded.

If you don’t like something, you can have it fixed. Nothing happens if you just sit back and stew about it. Complain to some one! Voice your opinion, speak out of turn, do something!

If I can do it, you can do it.

Blogger.Com rawks really hard.

Oscar postmortem Tuesday


short version - Bill Murray didn't win, waaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

No comments: