Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Things To Do


It never fails. I decide I am going to do these things in this order and I am going to get them done. Damn it.

I stopped doing that, decided ahead of time what I was going to get done. It's hard to do though. I would sit there at a red light at seven in the morning and say "I think I'm going to start off with that last bit of filing and then I'm going to make the copies for that request and then I'm going to redact it and get all that copied and then I think I'll start on the single page filing. That's not really all that much. It'll make the day go. and I'm all secure in how I am going to be spending the day and reasonably happy about it.

I had to stop that. It was like there was some psychic goblin somewhere saying Aha! She thinks she's going to get that project done! HA! I think I'll have that lawyer call her and tell her that this new project needs to be done today. And then! And then I'll have the phone ring all day long so she can't concentrate and gets nothing done! Wheeeee!

Bastard.

Or the ever popular inservice or surprise inspection or tornado warning or whatever. It's always something. And it's always a big nothing.

So I tried to not make plans. I just took things as they came. But. I don't like that. I like having a schedule, I like having a list or failing a list, a plan. I hate having things just dumped on my head. It always starts off "I know you're swamped… if they recognize I don't have time for it, why bring it to me? If I do it means that there is something else just as important but waiting longer, that won't get done. It's not their thing so they don't care.

Things To Get Done

Alphabetize, hole punch and file single page filing
File the bucket of filing all ready in office and fetch the other buckets from the other office
Deal with boxes from archives
Fill new phone requests
Tidy


Things I got done

Roughly alphabetized single page filing
Faxed a huge number of pages for surveyor
Dealt with public
Filed some of the bin all ready in office
Dealt with boxes from archives


I always over schedule myself. Everything takes longer then it should, or I think it should. Things may take as long as it takes me to get them done but other people seem to get more done in the same time. Sigh.

I am so going to stop planning ahead at work. At Home I'll put that on a list along with

Will paint woodwork in bedroom this week
Will review skills with Dogger daily
Will call tech support about connectivity issue tonight
Will empty and fill dishwasher as needed
Will do laundry
Will vacuum
Will watch taped material
Will remember why VCR has turned self on
Will go through stuff growing on dining room table
Will file all stuff
Will shower
Will Stop over scheduling self

I need to make lists of what I did get done

Did laundry!
Did empty dishwasher!
Did wash Dogger!
Did wash self!
Did water plants!
Did read book!
Did pay bills!



The spirit is willing but the flesh just got a new Entertainment Weekly

No comments: