Friday, June 4, 2004

Democratic Picnic Animal


At the last convention I saw a flyer for some Democratic Picnic sometime in June. I took the flier and thought that if this picnic thing was on a Saturday or something I might go. I brought the flyer home and Kitty ate it.

Before I could go to this soiree I had to get money. I decided on the bank near my house. When I got to the bank I decided on the drive through. Why Not?

Why. Not.

I know it’s a cliche. I know everyone who has ever been through a drive through bank has said the exact same thing. I’m going to say it anyway. WHY must the people in front, why must they do think that getting their boat refinanced is something they need to do at the drive through? and why is it the car in front of me is there to close on their house? Why! I just wanted to cash a check. It would have hardly been faster going in the bank since my neighborhood bank is Fort Apache The Bank and I end up standing in isolation booths while some computer checks me out against known bank robbers for twenty minutes before I am set lose on the interior of the bank where I get the same treatment . In My bank there is no waiting. Waiting in groups breeds bank robbers, so there is never more then one customer in the bank at a time. You will stand there and wait when you are the only person in line. They need one teller to keep an eye on you, one to run you through BCIS, another to keep an eye on the one keeping an eye on you and the fourth to pretend you aren’t there at all. This is the only teller with out a Next Window Please card .. I feel the love every time.

Anyway. I finally get my money. Three days and two gallons later.

On The Road To Find Out

I get Dogger up and throw her outside. I decided that feeding her before our little trip might be the wrong idea. People might not really dig her squatting while they are trying to eat their pulled pork. It can be kind of an appetite suppressant. So we leave.

Dogger loves this idea. This is the maiden voyage of her fancy collapsible bowl and I want to see if she will drink from it. It’s awfully convenient. The only non-convenient part is that I have to cart the water as well and I don’t have a hands free water bottle. Juggling is good for you.

We get to the fair grounds where the picnic is being held. Lot’s of cars. That is a good sign. Its always good to see a nice turn out at things like this. I find a place to park and maneuver Dogger, her bowl and the water out of the car. So far so good. No squirrels, gross things in the grass or anything Doggger needs to investigate right now.

I am not seeing a lot of people hauling blankets and chairs. Maybe we all forgot to bring them. I am also not seeing other dogs. There are always dogs at these things. Always. Every time I go to a group activity there are dogs. This is why I brought my dog.

There were a hell of a lot of Yellow Dogs there. Dogger was the only one with out an ACLU card.. Dinner was also an inside event. Dogger had to go back to the car. I woofed down my dinner and went and rescued her.

Many Pols. Many speeches, many reminders that the soul of our very country depends on this election. We and we alone can save this country. Another GOP term and we are all going to hell. Then I ate a brownie and we went home.




No comments: