Thursday, September 9, 2004

4:10am

I hear something moving papers around on the dresser. It is either an industrious bug of epic proportions - in which case I would pull the sheet over my head and whimper until my alarm went off or it was Mr. Kitty and he wanted to eat. I decided to go with the Mr. Kitty angle because the huge bug idea was too awful. It was the Kitty and he did want food.

I go and feed Mr. Kitty. Remember is 4:10 am. I go to the kitchen and heft his food jug up and then look into his bowl - it was half full of food. Kitty came scampering into feast on his new food and I said No. I picked up his furry butt and locked him in his crate. I would feel really bad about this but, it was 4:10am and I had been asleep. Kitty woke me up on purpose just to get even more food in his bowl.

If Dogger annoys me, she goes to her crate. If the kitty annoys me, I feed him? That's not right and Kitty can be very annoying. No wonder he has a weight problem. Dogger has never woken me up with the express reason that I should feed her more. She wakes me up so that I will take her out to pee. I do not begrudge her wanting to pee somewhere that I do not have to clean it up. She gets a Wake Me Up to Go Out to Pee free card.

I went back to bed and didn't hear another peep out of Kitty. I did this a couple of times while Dogger was out of town and her crate was available. Kitty was really surprised the first time that happened. He just stood in the crate and looked at me like "The Hell?" I didn't even comment to him about it. I don't want to be woken up by the sounds of bits and pieces of my life being hefted from heights to be broken. I don't like it. I think its' time that one of us learn our place and it’s a small, furry place. I don't think its being mean to Kitty to make it clear that one of us the people and one of us is the cat. I let him get away with a lot and I think its time that he knows there is an actual line that he doesn't need to cross. He's smart enough to know that. The Dogger knows there are rules, why can't the Kitty also have to respect them? Just because he's short doesn't mean he rides the short bus. Kitty is sharp.

I know that this might make him hate his crate, but he has never been in love with it in the first place so I'm not seeing a big change in his lifestyle. I just want to not be awake at 4:10 in the morning because he thinks his kibble could be a little fresher.

No comments: