Thursday, September 30, 2004

Hard Driving

Whew. That was hard. A whole eight hours with out internet connection, at work! I mean, Oh My Gawd! I had to spend the entire day working!

Man, I'm glad that's over. I mean it. I was getting kind of stressed about it. The other day I got his new message on my computer and I found our computer person and showed it to her and she read it and said "Your Hard Drive Is Dying" and I said "Okay, get me a new one" and she said "No" and I said "Well, what do I do now? I mean, isn't that new message kind of telling me to make funeral arrangements and you know, like notify the speakers and monitor that they may need to like prepare themselves or something?" and she said "I'm going to mention at the next management meeting that you need a drug test".

What she really said was that yes, I was going to keep seeing that message and I should ignore it and not to worry about it.

Me - Is it going to blow up?
CP - No.
Me - Is it going to start smoking?
CP - Not if you don’t introduce it to cigarettes.
Me - When am I going to get a new one?
CP - No.
Me - How about...?
CP - No.
Me - But what about...?
CP - No.
Me - What it...?
CP - No.

Well. The computer was being a huge bitch. It didn't want to alphabetize my book marks and it took forever to do anything. But it still worked. I could live with it. I'm not supposed to spend the day playing with the computer anyway. I'm supposed to work at work. If the computer doesn't work, well, it's not that big a deal. I don't write that many letters.

Bull Shit.

The computer was dying. I was not happy. And then...

And then. I went to the wrong site. I should have known. I followed a link to a site that I thought was safe. I mean, The Guardian? A nice, staid British paper. Turns out its not a nice staid British paper. It's a Trainsporting kind of British paper, not at all a Masterpeice Theatre kind of paper. I followed a link promising to tell me all about how Shrubs grandfather was a big Nazi and.... it was ugly. I didn't even get a chance to read the story before the damn site unleashed a flurry of pop ups and programs that the world has never seen. It was awful.

I thought all this time that the work computer had some sort of very hardcore, take no prisoners sort of virus blocking pop up killer thing running. It didn't. I ended up with a thousand new and exciting dating, horoscope and poker sites plus many, many , many new icons on my desk top that just would not go away no matter how many times I deleted them! And a new search engine! . I also scored pop ups by the tanker full. I tried, I really tried to get rid of them. I didn't do a very good job. I did a sucky job.

So, this went on all day. I spent the better part of two days struggling with the damn thing and trying to swat these buggers down and delete these new programs as they popped up and it just wasn't working.

Remember my broken hard drive? This was not what it needed.

I finally gave up and found the CP and she agreed that I had made a huge mess of it and sped up the death of my hardrive. Because CP is my friend, she got me a new hard drive and monitor. Okay, not new, but working. She's going to keep it to her self that I killed the machine.

edited to add - Fahrenheit 911 is out on DVD next week, you can go here and buy it and donate to the cause! all at once!

No comments: