Friday, October 22, 2004


I’m all official now. I went and got my picture taken and when I came back from lunch my I.D tag was waiting on my desk. Yay.

It doesn’t even do anything. It’s not a pass key and it’s not scannable. They could have saved the money and just issued us all our own packet of “Hi My Name Is” stickers. The badge sports a lovely red stripe down one side that reads EMPLOYEE. I hope now that we all have to wear badges that maybe they will start making the inmates/residents/clients wear them too. It may make it easier to catch them when they try to run away. It would at least be a start – Hey, keep a look out for a guy with badge with a yellow stripe on it!

Now that I am officially have proof that I work here, I can try to use it to score the many, many benefits that made me join the State Employee Something, something when I got hired. For a mere $4 a month I am eligible for all kinds of freebies. So far, I am pretty sure I can ride the city busses for free. If they went anywhere that I wanted to go.

I did actually get some stuff done around the house yesterday. I hung up about thirty seven jackets I managed to wear over the last week. It hasn’t felt jacket-y but maybe I have taken to Sleep Jacket-ing. I also replaced a burnt out bulb in an entry way and dealt with the clean dishes, for my big finish I replaced the blanket in the duvet cover with an actual comforter. That was a bitch. I’m going to have to move upstairs soon I think. Kitty will be happy. There is no end to how much he wants to cuddle while I’m on the bed watching TV up there. He’ll even let me touch him! But downstairs, he sleeps at the bottom of the bed as far away from me as he can get – unless he thinks he needs to sleep on my face.

This morning he really made me mad. I was asleep. He was not, he was knocking things over I couldn’t identify and he was somewhere I couldn’t picture. He made me wake up. I got up, found him and prepared to put him in his box. The little monster got away and I went back to bed. I had just found the one true place to sleep on the mattress. I could feel my chakras relaxing, I think one of my legs got longer, my spine was glowing, and it was beautiful. I was laying there thinking “I could just stay right here. I could live here just like this forever. I’m kind of glad I’m awake enough to appreciate this”. So of course Kitty has to decide that this would be an ideal time to sleep on my face.

I hope Kitty remembers how nice it was for him to smother me. He’s going to be all by his Kitty self this weekend. Dogger won’t even be there. I think at first he’s going to find his bowl is really, really full of food and he’ll get all excited and bust out his kitty smoking jacket and listen to his special Cat Stevens/Stray Cats mix tape. Then he’s going to want to look out the window and he might notice there is no one there to lift him up to the window sill and he will get sad. Then he’ll do a little kitty dance of joy when he figures out again that his is alone on the house and he’ll be all “She’s gone! The dog is gone! Woo-hoo!!!” and he’ll jump around and he’ll start to think that his food has been there for a while and he really wants to go to the basement to play with his bugs but he can’t open the door himself and he’ll get sad and then he’ll find his lovey and do whatever he does to it when I’m not there to watch and by that time I’ll be back and Dogger will be back and Kitty will get all sad again.


No comments: