Monday, January 24, 2005

How cold was it?

It was so cold that...

Dogger actually helped me put her sweater on in the morning... She was like “Hi, I’m cold. The sweater thing? Bring it on, I’m not going to fight about it. Do we have any dog shoes? How about ear muffs? I would wear a hat... This cold is totally bull shit. Do I look like a sled dog? This cold weather nonsense is for dogs with thick coats. I have the equivalent to a wind breaker here and I’m not set up for cold, I’m set up for going to the beach, swimming, strolling through the forest, I’m a little bit into chasing ducks and shit, I’m good for “Brisk”, but this whole winter thing is so not me. I am not Dogger - Dog of the Yukon. Hey, I really don’t actually need to go outside. I went outside last night and I have really watched my fluid intake. I can hold it. Really. Look, I can learn to use a box, just like the not dog! See, Meowuff! I can do it! Just try me! And okay, you aren’t buying it and we are going outside. Don’t even try to hide in the basement and throw me out the door and into the yard on my own. That’s not going to work. If I have to go outside you have to go outside. We’re in this together.”.

I spent the entire day Saturday making dog cookies because the oven made the kitchen the only room in the house where I felt comfortable with out a coat. So. So I made cookies. Hundreds of cookies in two different flavors. I started out with bacon and cheese and garlic and milk for Dogger and then made another batch for the Nephdogs. All of Doggers were either heart shaped or bone shaped.. I found I could get about nine cookies across the sheet and seven down of the hearts. I averaged about 63 cookies a sheet. They ended up more like dog chips instead of dog biscuits - which I’m not sure is a good thing, I get more of them but they are less to them. Dogger does get a lot of cookies so its probably better that she’s getting less cookie every time but I’m afraid I make up with volume, “Gee, that’s kind of thin, here have three!”, I’m always cold and if I’m cold she must be cold and she needs more cookies to be able to burn more calories to make herself warmer. The Nephdogs got little gingerbread men, hearts and bone shapes. The little men I got a huge number of, about 77 a sheet.

After I finished I realized that I was going to have to go back into the rest of the house and I decided that maybe the dogs also needed peanut butter cookies too. These are my least favorite cookie. I can not get the chemistry right to end up with a nice well behaved dough. I’m getting a little better at the making the dough wind up less greasy, but it still ended up greasy. Dogs love peanut butter though and I hate to not give them what they want because I don’t like making it and besides, every minute warm in the kitchen with the oven working away was one less minute cold.

I was making all those cookies for the Nephdogs because little Bandit nephdog is not well. I told you that a while back that he was sick and he has not gotten better , he's shrinking, he'll be a chihuahua before to long. The canine “Make A Wish” folks are hovering around with tickets to You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown and freebie Air Bud and Beethoven DVDs and videos of old Lassie movies and passes to high end dog spas. So, he needs cookies, lots and lots of cookies and good thoughts! think lots of happy thoughts for my little nephdog.

No comments: