Monday, January 3, 2005

Insert Topical Title Here

Well. Happy New Year. Welcome back to real life.

No more long weekends, no more or less okay online shopping and time waste-age its Hi Ho Hi Ho Back To Work We Go. Welcome to January, February, March and April. The only time off you can count on between now and the summer months is sick time. Good luck with that.

It doesn’t looks as though I can even count on a good head cold this year, it was 70 degrees on New Years Day and it was almost as warm today. I took my outside lights down and had them boxed up in less time then it took me to decided where I was going to put the first strand. I got all my extension cords dealt with, unplugged the timer and, and, it was still on. There is a battery hidden behind a little door locked behind a tiny screw. I took it to the basement and went to where my screw drivers live, actually, where my screw drivers are supposed to live. I found a couple of the probably dozen or so that should have been there. I have about a dozen that call my house their home. They are very close knit bunch, where there is one there is usually more, but lately, every time I hide a a dust gerbil under a table I find another tangled up inside, there must have been a family fight.

I found three screw drivers and none the right size for the tiny screw. It ended up being a twenty-five minute process to do a forty-five second job. I did get the tiny screw out and the battery freed, but still. New Years Resolution Number 1 - Get Myself an Actual Tool Chest. I have tools they need somewhere to hang out - hammer, nails, the screw driver family, six and a half inch adjustable crescent wrench and the thingy that does something with wires and coax. Anyway, I’m tired of playing hide and seek with my stuff. I should not be asking myself what McGiver would do every time I have a home improvement project to handle.

Sigh. I mean Yay! I got all the outdoor lights down and boxed up! I even got the little tree stripped and put away and the creche set boxed up. I gathered up all the small Santas and put them to bed, I started on the big santa’s annual 12 month check up before they go to bed too - it turns out that Kitty doesn’t like men with beards! He really feels that they are hiding something and it is up to him to remove their disguise’s and make them come clean. The new santa was so taken a back by this intrusion he jumped off the table top! He is also undergoing treatment.


The outside lights are in boxes on the floor but I haven't taken them upstairs yet, I hate to say good bye. The big tree is still up. I like it. It makes for a really interesting floor lamp and in theory if I took off the more Christmas centric decos and concentrate on the more Winter Yay! themed figures, I think I could keep it up for at least a little longer. Maybe add some little MLK things and then some little valentines stuff and then maybe some Easter Eggs and, and... people are doing that now, keeping up their trees year round and just re-purposing them, but if I’m taking off the Santa’s and the Rudolphs and the candy canes and the I might as well start taking off everything else and I don’t wanna start on that...If I close the blinds the neighbors won’t know the tree is still up.

I’m hoping that over the weekend that somebody at work took it upon themselves to take the tree there down. I doubt it, but I’m going to hide in my office behind the cabinets until some one who is not me, gets their elf on and takes it down.

No comments: