Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Break out the funny hats

Did you know what yesterday was? I knew something was up so I went and checked out On This Day and learned that it was the anniversary of:

On May 16, 1868, the United States Senate failed by one vote to convict President Andrew Johnson as it took its first ballot on one of 11 articles of impeachment against him. (Johnson was acquitted of all charges.) Good.

On May 16, 1882, Anne O'Hare McCormick, the American journalist who became the first woman on the editorial board of The New York Times, was born. And now they have Judith Miller. I bet Ms. McCormick is rolling in her grave.

On May 16, 1990, both Sammy Davis Jr. , and Jim Henson died. Sigh


That in 1770 Marie Antoinette age 14 married the future King Louis the XVI, age 15. Which explains a lot of the bad furniture choices and impulse control issues they both shared as well as the peoples desire to chop their heads off.

That in 1920 Joan of Arc was canonized several hound rend years after her death. No fast track for her!

That in 1966 both Pet Sounds and Blonde on Blonde were released. And what year was it that Britney Spears or any other current “artist” released anything worth remembering for more then 15 minutes?


And May 16 was Pierce Brosnans’ 52nd Birthday. He’s still Remington Steele to me!

What else?

On May 16, 2001 I started on this job. On May 13th, I arrived in North Carolina.

I have worked at this job longer then I have worked at any other job I have ever held and that includes the movie theatre where it seemed I worked forever and I kept my my uniform so should I ever be asked to come to the aid of my Cinema in a national movie theatre emergency or they release another Jurassic Park which ever comes first – I will be prepaired to concess my little heart out for the cause or Jurassic Park whatever comes first and it also counts the Jack in The Box where I worked for too long for too little for morons who then they fired me because I had been there too long ( absolutely not kidding, I got fired because I was too good an employee! Or I got lazy and let someone else do drive through because I didn’t want to. YMMV) so I didn’t get to keep the uniform. In another year I will be fully vested in the state retirement fund and be able to draw funds at age 60, whether or not I still (!) (Gawd Forbid!) still work for the state. If I leave prior to that and really make the jump to the private sector I have to roll over the money and that sounds really mathy and complicated and beyond me and almost would make it worth it to stick around another year just to avoid all that complicated mathy, pensiony related stress.

So. Here I am. Four years later. I went from a 600 square foot rental beige apartment with cheapy cable to a 1462 square foot house where every single room is painted a different color and I have very groovy satellite TV; I scored the best girl dog ever, and I gave up my truck for a mini van. My cat is still the same and I’ve had three different glasses frames. Before I left Dallas, my best friends’ daughter had just celebrated her first birthday. She starts kindergarten in August.

But as I remind myself on a daily bases, Change Is Good! Long Distance phone service was invented for a reason and renting is a thousand times better then owning. Time marches on, get with the flow or be part of the pavement. Happy Thoughts, Damn it.

No comments: