Wednesday, May 4, 2005

Victory over the forces of Evil


Or, it’s so nice when your own body finally decided that co-operation is a good thing. I had another appointment to give blood yesterday and I really needed the body and I to be on the same page health-wise. I needed it to have enough iron floating around to sink in the solution at the Red Cross. Last week I got kicked to the curb by the lab tech after my traitorous blood floated around like a balloon. It was really embarrassing to go in there, read the literature, wait around, get called in and then have to slink out only minutes after walking in.

I worked hard to make sure it didn’t happen again, or really I ate hard to make sure it didn’t happen again. Cows were not safe with me. I ate so much red meat over the course of the week I began to fear daylight and wooden stakes, I also consumed enough of my daily vitamin to cause me to live in the future. I am blogging from 2105!

As I was sitting there in the chair thing all hooked up, the machine kept making really rude noises. The techs that were standing around preventing me from reading my book and zooming out (thank you Techs!) kept messing the tomato spike they had in my arm and making these comments how I was “not bleeding”. I said “I am bleeding. There is a spike in my arm and a red tubey thing, trust me, I’m bleeding”. No. Not enough. They kept touching the spike and I was not enjoying it, I do not want my veins toyed with. I’m fine with the needle but once its there; I don’t want it messed with. They finally decided that they needle was touching the “wall of the vein” and that’s why it wasn’t getting enough blood to keep the machine happy. I really didn’t want to know that. I don’t want to visualize my veins. I’m thin and pale; I visualize my veins just fine thank you very much. After much spike shifting they decided that what I needed to do was roll the gripper thing in my hand instead of gripping it. Problem solved. I filled the bag up, they unhooked me and I got my orange juice and I went home.

Dogger even got her walk. Dogger didn’t know what to do. She hasn’t had a proper walk since Tuesday of last week and she had given up hope of ever walking again. Okay, she’s a drama queen – but she did have a point. I walked her despite the fact I was now down a pint of blood and had to work all day. I pitied me too.

I was feeling better later and Dogger even got her weekly bath. She did not get her monthly flea med preventive, thank you very much online pet med place. She sat in he crate post bath and itched herself at me. I know it was on purpose because she put on her Mournful Dog face. I told you, total drama queen. I was able to get her delivered from heart Worms though and that was nice.

I’m supposed the pick up my new frames this week. It’s been two weeks now and I’m really getting excited about them. I’m trying to work through my buyers’ remorse issues. I mean, what if they look really stupid? And by extension, I look stupid with them on? I always want a change when I buy new frames but what if this time I changed too much?! Dogger is not the only drama queen in the house.

No comments: