Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hot, Hot, Hot


It’s hot. We have no air conditioning and I’m sitting here sweating. I file all day, I should not sweat. Filing is not a sweaty business – do you know how much filing you have to do under normal circumstances to work up a sweat? The Library of Congress. That’s right, to work up a sweat filing under normal circumstances as defined by the department of labor, you would have to refile the entire Library of Congress to officially work up a sweat filing

We have no A/C. I can hear you, don’t think I can’t - But the people of NOLA and Biloxi and Gulf Port don’t have A/C either and they are hot too, hot and homeless! Suck it up you big spoiled baby and make a donation to the relief organization of choice! Shame on you for being such a princess about a little discomfort at a time like this!.

I know! I totally belong to the Offer It Up school of suffering. There is no way that my piddly little” suffering” holds a candle to the suffering of others. I get that. For you that may not know what The Offer It Up school of suffering is about - in my understanding when you are feeling pain, discomfort, prickly heat, whathaveyou – you say “God, I know my pain, discomfort, prickly heat is nothing compared to the suffering Your Son endured for us. But still… OW!” and then you soldier on knowing that you are a big pussy and that everyone in the world is suffering more than you and you should be grateful that whatever you are suffering from is as minor as it is. For example:

My stomach hurts! – Women in Labor
My ankle hurts! – Soldiers with compound fractures.
My Head Hurts! – Migraine Sufferers
I don’t feel well – Children with Cancer.
My sunburn is killing me! – Burn victims.

See. I get it. I also get that my discomfort is real. I am hot. It is hot. Everyone in the building is hot. I am not alone in my suffering, however minor. I hate people who whine about shit like this, because for the most part, I am cold all the time and I whine about that. It is never hot in my office, and I normally welcome the days when the temperature in my office rises above 60 degrees – when everyone else in the office is bitching and moaning about the office tempreture, I say “Wow. I can take off my parka! Yay!” So today, I should be happy my pants are sticking to my legs and my shirt is wet. I could be cold. It is hard to file while wearing gloves. It is very easy to file right now, I am not wearing gloves. I should be grateful for that.


To – ALL
From – XXX
Re: Lack of Air-conditioning


2:38 - I just received an update from XXX on the status of the air conditioning problem. The compressor went out this morning and a replacement has been ordered. We will have to bear with the problem until it is fixed.



The People of NOLA and surrounding areas are homeless there is no electricity and they are plagued with poisoned water, lack of food, the specters of floating fire ant beds and electrocuted house pets and dead bodies.. I can deal with this.

I will think about this image and remind myself how little I know about being hot.

No comments: