Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Summer Bummer

I saw school supplies on sale at Poverty Barn and the last time I was at the mall there were sweaters out. It must be fall! I think since the retail establishment has declared summer over that Mother Nature needs to join the bandwagon and make it happen.

And if the retail establishment wants to help me out, the retail establishment would send a new fall/winter wardrobe to my house post haste. I’m tired of my winter clothes all ready and I haven’t seen them since March. This year absence is not making the heart grow fonder. It may be just because its so hot but the thought of having to wear those clothes again fills me with a deep sense of meh, but I do agree that the heat is making me a bit bleary and the thought of anything with sleeves does not make it better.

Over the weekend the kids from across the street came over the play with Dogger. Their dog got picked up by the pound and they haven’t seen him since. I also couldn’t find him at the human society site either, so I think the Dog Catcher story is just a cover. Anyway, the kids came over and wanted to see Dogger and I grudgingly took her out. The kids were so happy to see her and Dogger was so thrilled with the attention I hardly minded my new Cajon style blackened legs while we were out there sitting on the sidewalk.

One of the little girls said something about looking forward to Halloween and said she liked the Wendy’s coupons I handed out last year. I was like “Halloween? Um. Tomorrow is Monday, I’m looking forward to Friday. I have a pretty good idea of some plans in September but I’m not even thinking about October yet.

Because once I do start thinking about October I have to start thinking about Thanksgiving and then Christmas and New Years and… Everything just moves so fast after Halloween and by the time you have past Thanksgiving it’s almost Christmas and the year is almost over!

I am kind of working on Halloween plans though. I have a costume for Dogger and what I want to do is tie her in the entry way and lock the screen door and let her greet the kiddies. I think if I tie her leash to the door into the house that she will be back far enough away from the door as to not be too on top of the door, but close enough that the little kiddies will be able to see her and the big kiddies will be too scared to bother ringing my bell. Because I’m old now, my Halloween plans now include ways to thwart teenagers.

But, for the time being, it’s still August. I decided that I needed to water my few remaining outdoor plants before they all stop speaking to me and turn into the rest of my outdoor plants. I could practically see the water evaporating as it touched the leaves. I stood there for a good while and the pavement was dry before I turned off the hose. It’s just not right.

Dogger kept asking to go outside and despite my warnings of heat indexes and heat poisoning and how hot the ground is and how little I wanted to open the doors, Dogger insisted and so she went outside – to collapse under the shrubbery and stare balefully at me through the window until I let her back in. Kitty hasn’t even been asking to go outside the last few days, when he not begging for food he is splayed out on the fireplace tiles. I’ve been keeping the curtains drawn and the house dark but it isn’t really doing much for the room temperature. The A/C is running like a hamster on a wheel and is just about as effective.

No comments: