Friday, October 28, 2005

Fitzmas?

Do you think we’ll actually find out today? Do you think we will finally get what we want?

There is that chance. A probability. The possibility exists that there will be no good news at all!. That this whole exercise has been another dirty trick from the vast right wing conspiracy. It could happen you know, this would be a great way for the Roveites to work up sympathy points by “proving” that mean old left wing is just a bunch of sour old ninnies trying to make Shrub look bad. The Base would eat it up with a spoon.

Miers backed out, do you think her Christmas card list is going to be much shorter this year after all this? Her confirmation hearings were going to start next week and she certainly couldn’t just say on the eve of, “Hey, ya know what? I think that maybe I want to not do this okay?” I fear for what Shrub will dredge up now to sit on the court. I can only imagine what kind of bottom dwelling, scum sucking, constitution hating, skuzzy, homophobic, misogynistic right wing theocrat he will name in her place. How available is James Dobson?

I went to one of the vigils Wednesday night. It was lovely. I had my choice of two within driving distance and went with the one that I could find in the dark. It lost points for being outdoors and in the cold but it gained points for letting me use my nifty lantern for my light source for the first time. I bought it so that I could avoid burning my self with candle wax every time I went to one of these. Everyone burns themselves with candle wax at candle light vigils, its kind of a “thing”. Stand around, try to light your candle, ask neighbor to light your candle, ask someone else try to light your candle, re- light your candle, have wax burn your hands, have the wax of whomever is standing next to you burn your hands, re light candle, singe hair… It takes about 45 minutes for your average vigil candle and vigil goer to finally burn themselves out.

These really are lovely events though. It’s very heartening to be surrounded by people who agree with you. You have no idea how nice it is to say out loud that the admin is a bunch of crypto fascists and the war is wrong. I can’t do that in my “real” life. We also commiserated about the wait for the Indictments is making us crazy – another conversation I can’t have at work or with the four year old next door. Dogger and Kitty are totally with me, but they aren’t great conversationalists. The crowd also agreed that The Daily Show is awesome and that The Colbert Report rawks.

I guess we were not as vigil-y as we could have been. The other location was at a church and I kind of doubt it had the same vibe. I read recaps of the vigils on various sites and they all talk about the singing of hymns and mourning and general deepness and meaningfulness of the exercise. My group talked about the hip new feminist Rabbi at the conservative temple in town .I joined that conversation because I misunderstood something they said and I asked “Oh my Gawd, have the charismatic come to the Jews!? ‘cause I know what they have done to the Catholics and it isn’t pretty”, the laughed and said, no, but they do have this great new Rabbi and they are all excited about him. So when I heard “Dancing around and waving their hands at the Temple”, it wasn’t literal. I was relived. Being figurative charismatic I can deal with.

I was speaking to the older man standing next to me – at my advanced age I was among the youngest in attendance – I told him my Daddy had worked on a committee years ago in Dallas with Harriet Meirs, and then he one upped me with that he until he retired last month, had worked for several years, with the guy they just busted for a local unsolved murder. I think he won.

No comments: