Thursday, April 13, 2006

HisssspatspitMrrrrrreeewwwwGrrr

Back from the vet.

Well. The Kitty has lost weight. He is now at 12 lbs. While that is still with in normal limits and actually at the top end of the normal for a cat - it is till nine pounds less then he weighed a year ago and four pounds less than the last time he was at the vets office. Sally Struthers is going to do commercials for him.

But first. The new vets office. They scored points, I approved of the aesthetics - The waiting room smelled like a gerbil cage and looked like a bus station. I am never going to pay for a vet practices’ aquarium man again or their pricey subscriptions to Architectural Digest and Southern Living. I didn’t have a chance to see what mags this vet subscribes to as I was taken into an office when I walked in the door! And I was only in there alone for five minutes! I about passed out. I was like “But, I brought a book”. The tech who came in gave me something to fill out - after figuring out the cat I had in the carrying case was not actually Nephdog and that I was neither Alphagal or Broskey.

Identities cleared up she started to take a history. She was not prepared to do that much writing. With out notes I can talk for, I discovered, forty-five minutes on The Kitty’s long and colorful medical history. It covers eighteen vets, seven veterinary practices, eight years and three states and covers everything from lower GI complaints to periodontal issues. The Kitty doesn’t have a body cavity that hasn’t cost me money.

The tech got writers cramp about half way through and was replaced by the vet. Are all doctors now eleven? When did that happen? I remember kind of liking that when I was younger, it seemed so neat to have a doctor near my age OT the younger ones are much harder to lie to, and they look at you while you are lying to them because they know you’re lying to them and they want you to open up to them because they’re hip and young and wearing a concert tee-shirt. The older ones assume you are lying to them but they have moved beyond wanted to talk to you about it. They don’t bother looking at you while you lie to them they just note in your chart you lied to them. Everyone is happyOT. Today I think I would rather have a stuff old guy. These children make me nervous. Anyway.

Props to the vet for taking such a complete history though. She also took the name of the vet in Marquette as well as the Banfeild vet and talked to both and arranged for both to send on The Kitty’s medical records. I told her this could take a while.

After the history the vet and another tech tried to do a physical. The Kitty was not co-operative but they were able to listen to his heart and palpitate his little intestines - she declared them “thick”. She also agreed that he most likely has IBS.

We didn’t do any blood work because she was waiting to hear from Banfeild. I told her due to their chronic staffing woes that she may have to wait for those. She surprised me by not demanding that we do anything until The Kitty’s records come in and she has a chance to look at them. Wow.

Full cost of office visit? Much face time with vet and a very detailed History and Physical? $27.

Wow.

No comments: