Monday, August 14, 2006

Another day another petty humiliation. The idle rich should be eaten.

Beginning Friday August 18th I will need a weekly log of what you've done everyday that week and how much time was spent on the task. No paper clips nor rubber bands should be on the floor at any time.
Thanks


Let us keep in mind that paper clips and rubber bands are my stock and trade. Paper clips fall from the ceiling! broken rubber bands haunt my dreams. Cut me and I bleed broken rubber bands and bent paperclips. I have paper clips and rubber bands in various stages of their life span in every pocket of ever blazer, slacks and coat I wear to work and the other day, I found them in the pockets of shorts I don't wear to work! When I wash my hair I end up with handfuls of rubber bands and paperclips.

"Expectations of the file room.
File room should be kept in a neat and orderly fashion.
No files should be on the floor, or on top of the file cabinets.
No extra paper should be kept on the floor or on top of the file cabinets.
No paper clips, rubber bands, or binder clips should be on the floor.
Make sure the files are purged regularly.
File room should be vacuumed at least twice a week, three times if hole punch paper is on the floor.

*Just a little advice* put small cups or small boxes on top of the file cabinets for the paper clips, rubber bands, and binder clips."


I file. Filing is rife with broken rubber bands and bent paperclips. My office is the file room, there will be bent paperclips and broken rubber bands on the floor. There will be paper clips and rubber bands on that floor six months after the office moves. I would understand if I was asked to not dribble broken rubber bands and bent paperclips in the hallway or other peoples' offices but mine? and while I understand picking them up periodically is something I should remember to do, but damn...

peri·odi·cal·ly adv.
Synonyms: periodic, sporadic, intermittent, occasional, fitful. Having or marked by repeated cycles. Happening or appearing at regular intervals. Recurring or reappearing from time to time; intermittent. Characterized by periodic sentences.


Being a motivated self starter and all about being a good little solider and doing as I am asked, when I am asked, no questions asked, I got started on my activity log, post toasty. Is filling it out in five minute intervals smart ass? or just being precise? I've done a lot of time studies before but usually I knew what outcome was wanted so I knew how to manage my time. When I worked at the other job and the PTB wanted me to be available for "other responsibilities as directed" and I wanted to do my data entry, I knew how to make it look as though I was a data entry machine and had no time for "other duties", directed or otherwise. I never liked doing them though. I hate Big Brother and helping Big Brother be Big Brother is galling. Helping Big Brother document reasons for firing me galls me even more.

So. My Time Study

1pm - Hated boss
1:15 - Loathed supervisor.
1:25 - Planned supervisors' untimely demise
1:40 - Hated job.
1:45 - Hated boss some more
2:00 - Felt humiliated .
3:30 - crawled around floor on knees picking up rubber bands and paperclips.
3:45 - threw away all paper clips and rubber bands found on floor. (if the powers that be value my time so little that they can feel comfortable about directing a college graduate to make sure that rubber bands and paper clips never hit the floor - but she does? then I have no problem valuing their office supplies in a like way.) I should also point out that the building itself does not get vacuumed three times a month. I do not understand why the floor of my office must be sterile.

peri·odi·cal·ly adv.
Synonyms: periodic, sporadic, intermittent, occasional, fitful
Having or marked by repeated cycles.
Happening or appearing at regular intervals.
Recurring or reappearing from time to time; intermittent.
Characterized by periodic sentences.


My time study went much like that but for four hours. I was very proud of me though. It wasn't until I kept track of every stupid thing I had to do that. I know that a lot of people have to do these time studies as a regular part of their jobs, I understand that. I still hate it. I am doing it though. I noticed how many stupid things I do. A lot! I do a lot of things Damn it. I have a lot to keep me busy and maybe it’s a good thing I am going to be logging all that I do for the PTB. I mean, I know I’m going to be working harder then I am paid to, and I don’t get paid enough to work hard but it would be nice if some one else knew how hard I do work.

No comments: