Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Cheesy Does It

I’ve been casually playing the McDonalds annual Monopoly game. I looked through the little game pieces I’ve collected and I have not won yet! I was sure if I studiously didn’t keep track of my game pieces (while making sure to not losing any) that I would magically find that I had won $5000! Without even trying!

I did win a dollar off at Best Buy and that is very exciting but until Best Buy goes into the roofing business and Mcdonalds includes a $1000 off game piece for Best New Roofs, that dollar isn’t going to help me a great deal. I had been hoping since I wasn’t paying very close attention to my game tokens that I might have accidentally won $5000 or Lichtenstein. That would have been nice. Sadly, even by pretending I don’t care very much, I have not provoked the game into action. It doesn’t care very much about me either. Sigh.

The first day I played I did win a free breakfast item, but, I want more than that. I would like to win something I want to eat. I liked the game better in the old days when you got a handful of games pieces with every purchase, no matter how small; you still ended up with fourteen games pieces of the same rail road, but it made you feel like you had a shot.

I don’t think there were any more winners but it was at least better than having to buy a specific food item to get the same tokens and I think back then they had a “no purchase to win” policy too. I think you had to mail them something and they would send game pieces back to you. Humph, now they want you to buy their salads or upsize your fries in order to win. I do not think they will pay for your cardiologist, but that might be a nice instant winner prize too. I should suggest that, and I will, the next time I say “I want a number 2 meal plain and dry NO CHEESE and they put cheese on my burger anyway and it’s not very plain or very dry.

Speaking of food. I saw a commercial for one of the chain restaurants and they were trumpeting their newest appetizers and among their exciting new line up of deep fried gack was deep fried Macaroni and Cheese. Who comes up with these things? America could probably lose tons of weight every year if we just eliminated all the extra cheese we consume. And don’t come back to me with the “But its calcium! either, the added calories and fat content make any nominal benefit derived from the calcium void. McDonalds would help if they went back to charging extra to make the burgers “with cheese” .Fast Food places in general, habitually glop too much cheese on their food. It doesn’t make the food item healthier or better tasting; it makes the food item fatter and makes the consumer of the food, fatter as well. They wonder why they get sued; I think those litigious fatties should go take a long waddle off a short pier but the added cheese on the food does not help matters. The litigious fatties don’t have to eat the food, but the makers don’t need to add all the extra cheese either.

McDonalds and the chain restaurants aren’t the only culprits, there is entirely too much cheese on pizzas too, you can get the same happy feelings from the pizza if it is not covered with a goopy cheesetastic mattress and I am not even going to mention the please-make-me-fat cheese stuffed crusts either. Yuck.

No comments: