Friday, November 3, 2006

Fear of a Blue Planet

The Democrats and the Republicans are so far apart that they can’t even agree on what day it is. I got these emails minutes apart on the same day:

6 Days

As of today, we only have 6 days left to help our candidates air critical last-minute advertising, as well as to contact, identify and turn out Republican voters in an unprecedented effort save our critical Senate Majority!

Although you and I have worked hard for our Republican candidates, the liberal special interests will do or say whatever it takes to win these tight races and take over the Senate!

Democrats win and gain a Senate Majority they will use to:

1.Raise taxes on you and all Americans -- and then spend your hard-earned
tax dollars on their elitist causes!

2.Grant amnesty to illegal immigrants;

3.Retreat on the War on Terror by cutting and running from Iraq;

4.Begin investigations against President Bush and his Administration.



Hmmmm. Let me check my super secret librul code book...

1. What “elitist causes”? Re-landscaping Barbara Streisand's back yard? Maybe global warming? Or assuring our troops have adequate armor? Or that our veterans get the support and services they deserve and were promised?

2.“Granting amnesty”? Just like Ron Reagan did? That old America hatin' pinko.

3.“Retreat from the War on Terra by cutting and running blah, blah?” Gosh, the last time I looked the majority of Americans were kind of in support of leaving Iraq. It’s hardly a radical concept. It's a concept that the GOP should have gotten behind before Bill Frist started to send panic emails. Shrub is the only one still happy to be there.

4.“Bringing Shrub to Justice”. Who's "soft on crime" now?

I wonder why? I also wonder why Shrub bought all that land in lovely no extradition Paraguay. Are the Rethuglicans knowing subverting justice here? are they asking presumably Law and Order Red America to knowingly allow criminals to go free? Are there laws being broken by our lawmakers? What exactly are they thinking about? How dirty is he? Could it be worse than we think?

I’m not sure that would be possible.

Bill Frist is worried.

And from the Good Guys:

5 Days

Karl Rove himself was quoted as saying that this year's conservative GOTV effort will be stronger and even more effective than their superior performance in the last two elections. RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman shared Rove's confidence by stating that early indicators of their voter turnout efforts are more promising than in 2004.

We are aware how hard it will be to defeat the army of conservatives. The financial imbalance is daunting. But this challenge cannot go unanswered. Support our work by sponsoring a GOTV package today. Your contribution will go towards essential parts of our plans for the final push: vans, food and supplies for volunteers, and election protection work that is essential to securing the progressive vote. Please give generously today.

And on the other hand. The Democrats aren’t quite as naked in their fear. They should be terrified. We thought we had it sewn up last time too! and see how well that turned out. I guess fear of a blue planet is not really at the top of our list, it's hard to be afraid of yourself. We do get points for using the Karl Rove card and name checking Ken Mehlman ( am I the one who’s gaydar pings when he’s around?) We lose points however for not using fear as effectively as we could. Fear is a great motivator, it along with vote rigging got Shrub into office twice.

I don't think we're worried enough.

Okay.

Moving on. I was driving home from the dog park Wednesday. I was fooling with the radio and as I was flipping through I heard:

Have a holly...:”

I turned the sound down and counted to five. I turned the sound back up. I thought that I must have suffered an audio hallucination. Perhaps I should check my meds, maybe I suffered a head injury and didn’t know it. Maybe it was a mistake on the part of the radio station.

Oh My golly have a holly, jolly Christmas this year!!

No. No to all of the above. After Burl Ives made me question my sanity, they moved on to Bing Crosby. The local station that plays carols every year, normally starting 24 hour play around Thanksgiving, had started their carol playing. The. Day. After. Halloween.

Isn’t Christmas supposed to be special? I could deal with the half off Halloween sales before Halloween, I could even deal with the plastic skulls sharing shelf space with the plastic Santa's, but CHRISTMAS CAROLS the first week of November?

I blame George Bush.

No comments: