Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Music

I think I figured out the second reason I couldn’t make the whole music “ripping” thing work with my computer. The first reason is that I am old and at this point I want all this new technology to just get off my damn yard! The second reason would be that the Windows Media Player version on my computer dated from the musical paleolithic era. I discovered that I had version 9 and the rest of the world has version 11. The version that actually uses the phrase “mp3". I was stoked.

I now have version 11. On my shitey dial up the whole thing only took two, three hours to down load.

But now, now I can rip my own music. You can’t imagine how embarrassing it is to ask some one else to rip Partridge Family music for you. Is that what it’s called? How do we conjugate “rip”? It’s one thing to ironically have in your possession Partridge Family” CDs, (yes “s”). its’ quite another to have to share with others which cuts are your favorite.

I’ve been going through my limited CD collection and I am wondering why for instance I have The Benzedrine Monks of Santa Domonica, okay, I know why, but did I have to buy it? I know I didn’t get it for free and it’s hardly the kind of thing I would have received as a gift, Oh, I saw it and it just screamed YOU, I had to get it! Merry Christmas!!, I don’t see it as something you get someone on a whim. You would almost have to be with the person when you buy it for them or at least have a note from the intended recipient. You don’t just spring a Gregorian chant version of Do Ya Think I’m sexy? on an unsuspecting person. It’s not nice. It could ruin Christmas dinner for everyone.

So. I’m going through my boxes of (two boxes, small) of CDs trying to decide which is the most worthy to take up the remaining limited space on the FauxPod. I’ve all ready decided to concede space to Tear Stained Letter and the big rousing show stopper from Joseph, a cut from the fore mentioned Partridge Family, but I think I have the CD I really want at work. Damn. Lets see, a cut to be named later from the Grosse Pointe Blank sound track - I just got the title of the movie! It’s about a hitman and the title is Point Blank!. Really! I just got it. I am so dumb.

I discover that I do have the two CDs of the Evita soundtrack, yes, you snobs, it’s the Madonna version! I thought I only still had the one but I have both. Yay! In celebration I pop one into the CD player and get to really be all multi-tasking 21st century: I was going to blog while Ripping! I go fetch the FauxPod and prepare to “rip” my musical cherry. I put the CD in. Nothing happens. The CD is CDing around, I can hear it working or thinking or whatever CDs do when they are in the CD player and they are supposed to be playing and they are not playing. I then bring up my new and improved WMP. Again. Nada. “Not Responding”. Bastards!

I can’t listen to or record from the CD player. WMP doesn’t seem to even know there is a CD in the player much less able to recognize which CD it is. I am online. I checked that first. It shouldn’t matter to the CD player what is up with my online status, it should play regardless. It is not playing.

I take a deep breath. I remove the offending CD from the player. Maybe the musical gawds really hate that soundtrack. I can live with that, you bitter queens. I have other CD players, bitches.

No comments: